Breeding Reptiles as Feeders? (Hyopthetical) - Page 5 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
To the OP

The european reptile shows usually have a few people selling, or willing to take, feeder reptiles and frogs. Sometimes pre culled, other times, cull yourself. I know of at least one shop that often has feeder reptiles in, though these are generally WC I believe.

I wouldn't have guessed WC would be used. They must be treated for parasites/diseases surely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
WARNING - The video in the link below contains clips of live animals being constricted and consumed in leading up to the experiments to see how much pressure an anaconda exerts when constricting a duck. ** Viewer discretion advised**

Moderators, I've provided the link in line with subject discussed in this thread. It details the science behind snake constriction and thus trying to get a better understanding of how little or how much suffering the prey item experiences.

Please be advise the quality of the clip is low

https://youtu.be/ja3Q9ZwWfec

Interesting vid, shame about the cheesy American narrator though Still looks a brutal way to go though. Doesn't say anything about how long it takes for the duck to die so could have been alive for those 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. So hard to tell

I feel sorry for the guy that had to retreive the equipment from the duck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatatas View Post
I wouldn't have guessed WC would be used. They must be treated for parasites/diseases surely?
They're all frozen so i guess that deals with a lot of the issues, but anything else would be a discussion with the shop and a judgement call for the keeper

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 09-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Interesting vid, shame about the cheesy American narrator though Still looks a brutal way to go though. Doesn't say anything about how long it takes for the duck to die so could have been alive for those 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. So hard to tell

I feel sorry for the guy that had to retreive the equipment from the duck...
Yeah, the narration leaves a lot to be desired. It was shall we say one of those unscientific scientific experiments. I'm sure there was a later version where they used other sensors which detected the animals blood pressure and heart rate and they found that the pressure on the heart stopped the animals heart from beating within seconds. But as that video shows the fright the prey item experiences until that happens is something else. At least with a bite from venomous snakes the initial trauma is just the bite itself, after that the effects of the venom come on so quick that the prey item doesn't really have time to realise its dying

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
They're all frozen so i guess that deals with a lot of the issues, but anything else would be a discussion with the shop and a judgement call for the keeper

Oh yeah, didn't think about the effect of freezing

Quote:
Yeah, the narration leaves a lot to be desired. It was shall we say one of those unscientific scientific experiments. I'm sure there was a later version where they used other sensors which detected the animals blood pressure and heart rate and they found that the pressure on the heart stopped the animals heart from beating within seconds. But as that video shows the fright the prey item experiences until that happens is something else. At least with a bite from venomous snakes the initial trauma is just the bite itself, after that the effects of the venom come on so quick that the prey item doesn't really have time to realise its dying

We need a volunteer to take one for the team and get eaten by an anaconda, talking us through their experience until they can't no more...
elishacoombes9 likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
We need a volunteer to take one for the team and get eaten by an anaconda, talking us through their experience until they can't no more...
https://youtu.be/9k8mRmtMqrI
GT2540 and Potatatas like this.

Malc

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Super Citizen
Default Breeding Reptiles as Feeders? (Hyopthetical)

Quote:

Bloody hell! Bugger doing that! She was a beast! Remember watching that years ago when it came out, shame he couldn’t finish it! Wonder if anything could be made now and then someone can try again! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasops View Post
The one case that muddied this up was that of Steven Riddell back in 2015, thanks to a newspaper headline (I think the Daily Herald) saying he is in jail for breeding rats and mice for his snakes.
Steven Riddell was not jailed for breeding mice and rats for his snakes.
He was jailed because the conditions he was keeping the rats and mice in were inappropriate. It was a welfare issue.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...-west-32532219

Just looked him up, that's appalling
Thrasops likes this.