nitrates in water - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Hatchling
Default nitrates in water

we got a letter yesterday about high nitrate levels in our tap water (local supply) and that it is just above what is deemed acceptable. from what i could find out its mainly a problem for pregnant women and small children, but i couldnt find much about animals. the people responsible for the supply have offered bottled water while they try and deal with the issue and i will be picking some up for the animals. i will be keeping a close eye to make sure they are still doing their thing alright and hopefully it will be sorted soon.

dont know if there is anything known about if it will affect reptiles in any meaningful way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Gold Star Member

I wouldn't be overly concerned for the reptiles. In the wild most will drink water from rivers or ponds where the nitrates will be quite high. It's high level of nitrate and phosphates that cause algae blooms yet reptiles and animals drink from a pond full of it.

If you are concerned then just used bottled water. It's no good getting a filter jug as that wont filter out the compounds like nitrate and phosphate etc. To do that you need a 4 stage reverse osmosis unit. I keep a small marine reef tank, and out tap water is cr-ap - typically having 400 particulates per million out of the tap. I tee off after the 3rd stage (membrane) which gives us water around 30-40 ppm which is ideal for drinking, making tea and coffee (tastes so much better and no limescale), and then after the 4th stage (resin) the water is pure H2O with zero particulates. The only drawback with RO is that they waste a fair bit of water, typically 4 litres for every litre produced. But if you feed the waste outlet into a water butt it makes ideal water for watering the garden

Malc

Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Postaholic Member

Where ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Where ?

In relation to what post is this referring to ?

Malc

Old 11-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Postaholic Member
Default nitrates in water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
In relation to what post is this referring to ?
.. soz .

I mustn’t have refreshed the page before posting my query .. your post wasn’t showing at the time ..

Just wondered what area the guy lived in ..

Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Hatchling

i live just outside of newport in shropshire. the water supply is for about 20 houses and a factory so its very localised and likely down to the filtration equipment they have. the letter they sent out said they were going to be sorting out a better bit of kit so it shouldnt be an issue for long.

i hadnt thought of it in the context of just occuring naturally. when i looked it up there were pages of things saying about messing with the oxygen level in your blood and "blue baby syndrome" so i just assumed it was a chemical fertiliser origin. what you said makes sense though.

i already got a bottle of the free water so i will use that for the time being anyway.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Gold Star Member

Ah right.... His profile states Shropshire. If you type in "High nitrates - Shropshire" it seems quite common for farmers to be the cause through fertiliser and not managing run off from fields into the water system.

Malc

Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigotbush View Post
i live just outside of newport in shropshire. the water supply is for about 20 houses and a factory so its very localised and likely down to the filtration equipment they have. the letter they sent out said they were going to be sorting out a better bit of kit so it shouldnt be an issue for long.

i hadnt thought of it in the context of just occuring naturally. when i looked it up there were pages of things saying about messing with the oxygen level in your blood and "blue baby syndrome" so i just assumed it was a chemical fertiliser origin. what you said makes sense though.

i already got a bottle of the free water so i will use that for the time being anyway.
Nitrate (other then being a fertiliser) is part of the normal bio-ative water conditioning. Any waste (decaying matter, animal waste etc) first breaks down into Ammonia. Microbes brake this down into Nitrite, which another strain of microbes convert Nitrite into Nitrate. Nitrate is then used by the plants as a natural fertiliser and algae being a plant will absorb high nitrates to rapidly grow and give the water that green colouration.

The UK max level is 50 ppm (50mg / litre) and in terms of the effects of drinking water with higher nitrate levels I can't say what the effects will be as I'm not medically qualified to do so, but I doubt it would be good for you.

Malc

Tags
drinking water , nitrates , water