Royal python burn - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-10-2019, 11:30 PM
Egg
Default Royal python burn

After a weekend away with someone watching my pets, I returned to find that my 3.5 year old royal python had managed to get through the substrate and sustained a burn from her heat mat.
The heat mat had been exposed for less than a few hours and I noticed what had happened immediately so I removed all aspen bedding from the viv and replaced it with a few layers of paper towels and ordered some tamodine.
When I received the tamodine I was told to use it a couple of times a week until the burn started to improve. I’ve so far noticed the burn start to scab over but some of the skin is still exposed and looks quite pink. She’s shed about 4-5 times since the initial burn with the first two being normal but the last two have been quite difficult and she’s needed assistance.
I’ve read that savlon burn cream can be applied and so I bought some today but haven’t used it yet as I’m wary about doing anything without complete confidence that it will help my snake and not cause any more problems.

My snake had also been off her food previous to sustaining the burn however I’ve noticed no changes in her weight.

Advice on how to make her more comfortable and help her to heal would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 PM
Gold Star Member

Its Friday night again....

Most of us here are not qualified vets, nor do we possess crystal balls to see how bad the injury is, which by the sounds of it was caused through an unstated heat mat (ie poor husbandry).

Take the snake to your nearest Vet ASAP. They are best qualified to diagnose and prescribe any treatment and antibiotics the snake may need. In the mean time I would suggest you remove the mat and have a read of the post below

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...l-pythons.html

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...e-heating.html
yardy likes this.

Malc

Old 12-10-2019, 10:07 AM
5 Star Member

So this is an old burn... When was it initially acquired? Oh and can we have a photo of how it looks now?
Malc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Egg

The burn happened around two months ago. I’ll try and get a decent photo of how it currently looks - I haven’t taken one yet as I’m trying to limit how much I handle her at the moment
Thanks
Old 13-10-2019, 02:31 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekahmac View Post
The burn happened around two months ago. Iíll try and get a decent photo of how it currently looks - I havenít taken one yet as Iím trying to limit how much I handle her at the moment
Thanks
Well, it shouldn't really be painful if it's that old and without a photo it's difficult to assess how it is now.
Old 13-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekahmac View Post
I havenít taken one yet as Iím trying to limit how much I handle her at the moment
Thanks
If you feel handling her will cause pain and distress the take her to the vet asap
yardy likes this.

Malc