Royal python shed in bits - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
But they can still find pockets that vary considerably from the average of whatever region they are in, presumably? For example, the proverbial termite mound could be a lot more humid than a reading taken from the middle of a field that was used to produce the average for the area.
Oh quite possibly that is what happens. There are no studies that show what they do on a day-to-day basis throughout their normal cycles. Damp burrows, damp leaf litter / grass, or that proverbial termite mound could all be areas where humidity is high, which the snake may well seek out when its time to shed, and hence why I agreed with the comment about the damp hide box
johndavidwoods likes this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
But they can still find pockets that vary considerably from the average of whatever region they are in, presumably? For example, the proverbial termite mound could be a lot more humid than a reading taken from the middle of a field that was used to produce the average for the area.

I agree they're a really successful species with a wide distribution and can tolerate a range of conditions, but the unsuccessful shed query comes up often with royals, so I often think the importance of humid hides is understated.

Interesting .

I seem to recall reading a paper from a Royal python ‘hunter’ ( wild Royals collector) and I’m sure it mentioned that they find a surprising amount of them high up in trees plus some in caves ..

Maybe someone will remember better than I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro