Royal python shed in bits - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 14-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Egg
Default Royal python shed in bits

Hi there, had my royal for a month now and she has had her first shed since I owned her but it was in lots of small pieces. Shes around 6 months old feeding perfectly. The first signs of her being in blue I bumped the humidity to 70% put an extra water bowl on hot side to maintain humidity and provided a humidity box filled with sphagnum moss which she had been using, sprayed the viv down daily sometimes twice if needed. Is there anything elso I can do or anything I did wrong for next time? Also best way to get off stuck shed? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
Hi there, had my royal for a month now and she has had her first shed since I owned her but it was in lots of small pieces. Shes around 6 months old feeding perfectly. The first signs of her being in blue I bumped the humidity to 70% put an extra water bowl on hot side to maintain humidity and provided a humidity box filled with sphagnum moss which she had been using, sprayed the viv down daily sometimes twice if needed. Is there anything elso I can do or anything I did wrong for next time? Also best way to get off stuck shed? Thanks

Hi ..

I randomly spray the vivs but when they go into shed I then spray each day ..... and then when the eyes clear up and they get their colour back I start spraying well two or three times daily -then they shed perfectly.

If there’s any stubborn skin still on it just get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it and then let it slither around inside the towel ...any loose bits come off easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Egg

Thanks, I'll try the towel trick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Gold Star Member

The issue of Royals shedding in bits is more common than you may think. I too follow Zincs regime if using a £1 spray bottle fitted with warm water to spray the enclosure with a fine mist when the snake is in shed.

If or when the snake is shedding and its coming off in bits you can always assist shed by getting the skin started and letting the snake run through your hands so the old skin gets held in your hands. Or run a luke warm bath, just an inch or so deep depending on the size of the snake and at around 30c (will feel cool to your hands) and let the snake soak for a while. You can then remove the bits of skin by gently rubbing it damp skin with your fingers.

Malc

Old 14-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Egg

Thanks. It may just be one of thoes things I know bad sheds happen I have kept snakes most of my life but just wanted to make sure my humidity and husbandry was correct for a royal, my king snakes, rat snakes, corn and garters never really had that problem maybe once in a blue moon. I'll maybe ramp up to 80% next time. Thanks!
Old 14-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

Upping the humidity when the snake goes into the blue is already too late, unfortunately. Provide a humid hide box at all times (in addition to a regular hide) and you shouldn't have any issues in the future.
Old 14-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Egg

I keep the humidity at 55-60% most of the time and have a humid hide with moss in at all times which I spray daily. I'm thinking of putting moss in the warm hide as that's where she likes to spend most of her time.
Old 14-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

I think the ideal, if enclosure size permits (which it should) is a humid hide at least at both ends of the temperature gradient, in addition to non-humid hides in those places. It's good that you have one in there at all times but if it's not at the right point in the temperature gradient, the snake still won't use it.

I'd question why it needs spraying daily - perhaps it's far too open, and isn't actually as humid as it needs to be? The traditional sealed plastic box with a small entrance hole cut into the side or the lid wouldn't need spraying on a daily basis, once the damp moss is put in.
Old 14-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Gold Star Member

The addition of a humid / damp hide is a good one.

In terms of humidity in the environment, well that is depended on part to the ambien humidity in the room. It's been raining outside for the past few days, and so the house has been shut up with closed windows for most of the time. The humidity in the four vivs at the moment is between 66% and 71%. The room humidity is 68%. In the summer when it's warmer and dryer, and all the windows are open the humidity in the room can be 45% - 50% and the humidity in the vivs can fall around the same levels.

In the wild royal pythons are found to inhabit open, often arid habitats – savannas and other grasslands, sparsely forested woodlands, overgrown fields and the borders of agricultural areas. But in that natural range the humidity can vary drastically, for example take Ghana. In Accar near the coast it averages 80% all year round, but inland in Tamale it ranges from 20% in Jan/Feb to 70% in August.

Malc

Old 14-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Ultra Citizen

But they can still find pockets that vary considerably from the average of whatever region they are in, presumably? For example, the proverbial termite mound could be a lot more humid than a reading taken from the middle of a field that was used to produce the average for the area.

I agree they're a really successful species with a wide distribution and can tolerate a range of conditions, but the unsuccessful shed query comes up often with royals, so I often think the importance of humid hides is understated.