Climbing ideas - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Egg
Default Climbing ideas

I've just got my baby boa a new 5ft viv and I'm looking for climbing ideas for him??? I haven't been able to get him any branches from outside and I really don't want to spend a fortune on branches for it has anyone got any ideas please?? This is the first time I'm having to setup a viv for myself and I just want to get it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjones12 View Post
I've just got my baby boa a new 5ft viv and I'm looking for climbing ideas for him??? I haven't been able to get him any branches from outside and I really don't want to spend a fortune on branches for it has anyone got any ideas please?? This is the first time I'm having to setup a viv for myself and I just want to get it right

Take a trip to the nearest woods / parkland .... there’s always lots of dead branches to collect ( especially after the windy weather we’ve just had ) ....

They can be cut to size then jammed in place and secured with a hot glue gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Malc and Potatatas like this.
Old 14-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Take a trip to the nearest woods / parkland .... there’s always lots of dead branches to collect ( especially after the windy weather we’ve just had ) ....

They can be cut to size then jammed in place and secured with a hot glue gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely this!

Even if it means travelling to a woods or something because of location, it’ll definitely be worth it.

I’m lucky enough to live in quite a rural area, with wooded land basically everywhere - I usually get all of my viv decor from outside & dry it out before fixing it into the vivs. It would literally cost me hundreds to provide the same type of setups if I were to buy java branches/bamboo roots/etc from pet shops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zincubus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Regular

Yep outside is a good money saver. I have heard it's best to avoid pine as it has irritative sap but also that it doesn't effect snakes. I avoid it just in case though.

You could also use PVC piping, plastic/wooden ledges, bird boxes, etc. I have a resin hide bolted in the top corner which works well
Old 22-10-2019, 03:23 AM
Regular

If you do get it form outside, make sure to thoroughly clean it to prevent any bug infestation. This can be done by heating the branches in your oven or by submerging it in a partial bleach solution for a period of time. There are a lot more details to look into for both of these options to prevent any damage to yourself and the snake.
Old 22-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantTouchThis7126 View Post
This can be done by heating the branches in your oven or by submerging it in a partial bleach solution for a period of time.
I would recommend using a reptile safe disinfectant such as F10 rather than bleach

Malc