Why do we breed in Spring? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 15-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Hatchling
Default Why do we breed in Spring?

I'm not really looking to breed (certainly not for a while) but I was just interested in why we always brumate in winter and then breed in spring. Cant conditions be replicated allowing us to breed at any time of year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy782 View Post
I'm not really looking to breed (certainly not for a while) but I was just interested in why we always brumate in winter and then breed in spring. Cant conditions be replicated allowing us to breed at any time of year?
No, most snakes' body clocks hardwire them to come into season in Spring, regardless of replicated conditions. Many will come into season then, even if they aren't brumated.
Old 15-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Hatchling

So it's an ovulation thing then?

Womens problems' explain so many of lifes mysteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
So it's an ovulation thing then?

Womens problems' explain so many of lifes mysteries
Not really. There is far more to breeding snakes than simple ovulation. Species from temperate regions will naturally over winter in a semi dorment state called brumation. Many captive specimens will automatically stop feeding over the winter. In the spring their behaviour also changes as they try to find a mate.
We breed snakes in the spring because, even when captive bred, they are still wild animals and have wild instincts.
Old 15-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Gold Star Member

Whilst I agree with Wilk's and Ian's comments, I do feel that these days the "breeding season" for each species is now not as defined as it used to be. Hatchling Royals tended to appear from September - November, but these days they are offered from June / July, which would suggest that they started August / September the previous year.

But the timing is built in to their body clocks. I started pairing my Royals up last October, but the female didn't go on to lay until mid-August, and the eggs are on day 65 and the buggers have yet to stick their heads out !
elishacoombes9 likes this.

Malc

Old 16-10-2019, 03:24 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
As far as I know, conditions can be replicated allowing us to breed at any time of year. I have heard that moving temperate zone northern hemisphere snakes to the temperate zone of the southern hemisphere results in eventually breeding in southern hemisphere spring. The biggest problem is figuring out the stimuli needed to induce breeding and sperm/egg production. Photoperiod and both day/night and seasonal temperature cycles seem to be important for corn snakes and many other temperate zone colubrid snakes. Windows provide the local photoperiod without conscious human intervention.