Possible Mites? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 20-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Regular

Hi Malc thanks for your reply I'm using a habitat thermostat I changed her bedding on Wednesday the normal forest floor coconut fibre mix she normally has 🏼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Gold Star Member

OK, first thing first, you can't go on by what the dial on the thermostat is set to. You need to measure the actual temperatures of the substrate under / over whatever heat source you are using. Adjusting the dial, in conjunction with the thermostat placement (have a read of the sticky "basic guide to heating" above

It could very well be mites that have come in on the new substrate. Was this obtained from a shop that stocks reptiles ?

Malc

Old 20-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStewart View Post
I'm just headed into town to grab a white towel and I'll give that a try.. Would I see the mites moving on her if she had them?
Yes, they're quite visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Regular

Thanks Malc yes I have the habistat probe and thermostat probe under the ceramic lamp at ground level.. I've ordered from the same company on ebay for years bug bag of orchid bark and I get a few bags of exo terra coconut husks aswell
Old 20-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Regular

Well so far so good that I can't see any YET
Old 20-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Regular

Update: So I ran her through the white towel aside from Tiny fragments of substrate nothing, another good check under her neck eyes and butt haha!! Nothing..

HOWEVER!! I've solved the water bowl emptying dilemma.. There is the tiniest crack in the ceramic dish which slowly leaks over time I just checked it out in the kitchen.

So I'm gonna to clean out her damp bedding microwave the new bedding replace the bowl and see if she eats later.. I've already ordered some Tuarrus Mites so I think I'll pop them into all my vivs Just to be on the safe side what harm can it do. If I do have mites (which I don't think I have) it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have noticed her wheezing /whistling slightly BUT for now I'm going to put that down as stress I've had her in and out all day inspecting.. I will up her temp and humidity a little just to be on the safe side and monitor her breathing over the next few days.

Thanks for everybody's help today it's nice to know their are kind people who go out of their way to help others.. Any more advice I'm all ears 🙂
Old 20-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
U

HOWEVER!! I've solved the water bowl emptying dilemma.. There is the tiniest crack in the ceramic dish which slowly leaks over time
Just goes to show that we all overlooked the obvious

Malc

Old 20-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Regular

I've still caught he putting her head in her water bowl but not for too long as I say I've ordered the taurrus mites just incase better to be safe than sorry I guess
Old 20-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
I've still caught he putting her head in her water bowl but not for too long as I say I've ordered the taurrus mites just incase better to be safe than sorry I guess
Probably having a drink- many snakes immerse their whole face when drinking.