Possible Mites? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 20-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Super Regular
Default Possible Mites?

Hi All I posted up early hours of this morning to try and solve the case of my female fox snake drinking way too much.. The bowl would literally empty a few hours after I refilled it.
All my other snakes in the stack still have full water. I had an incling that she was bathing in there but I couldn't catch her in the act..

So.. I took out my long rat snakes water boek which is much bigger and went to bed and low and behold I caught her fully submerged and rubbing her head under the water.

Now I'm guessing this means she potentially has mites obviously I've taken her out and had a good look in all the obvious places but I can't see anything.. It doesn't help the fact that she is on forest floor and coco husk mixture I'm scrutinising every little brown/black fleck.. I can't see a thing.. That's not to say there isn't any mites.

Ive been in the hobby about 6 years now and not had mites before, I live in a small flat so quarintine isn't really an option so I looked at the reviews etc regarding Taurrus Mites and treating all 4 vivs.

Has anybody used this?
Do the defender mites run onto your snake?
Do you remove your bigger water dish to stop the snake bathing and potentially killing defender mites?
What have you guys done whilst waiting for this to be delivered?

All new territory to me here so ANY help would be massively appreciated.. Don't like to see her suffering.

Thanks Guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStewart View Post
Hi All I posted up early hours of this morning to try and solve the case of my female fox snake drinking way too much.. The bowl would literally empty a few hours after I refilled it.
All my other snakes in the stack still have full water. I had an incling that she was bathing in there but I couldn't catch her in the act..

So.. I took out my long rat snakes water boek which is much bigger and went to bed and low and behold I caught her fully submerged and rubbing her head under the water.

Now I'm guessing this means she potentially has mites obviously I've taken her out and had a good look in all the obvious places but I can't see anything.. It doesn't help the fact that she is on forest floor and coco husk mixture I'm scrutinising every little brown/black fleck.. I can't see a thing.. That's not to say there isn't any mites.

Ive been in the hobby about 6 years now and not had mites before, I live in a small flat so quarintine isn't really an option so I looked at the reviews etc regarding Taurrus Mites and treating all 4 vivs.

Has anybody used this?
Do the defender mites run onto your snake?
Do you remove your bigger water dish to stop the snake bathing and potentially killing defender mites?
What have you guys done whilst waiting for this to be delivered?

All new territory to me here so ANY help would be massively appreciated.. Don't like to see her suffering.

Thanks Guys.
If your snake had mites, you would see them- pinhead sized shiny black/dark brown/maroon bumps mainly on the head & neck, that crawl about & burrow under the scales, causing some of them to raise. If you're certain there ARE mites, Callington spray is your best bet.
Old 20-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it,
I've looked under her neck etc and I can't see anything moving at all I've Checked the male fox snake too.. As i say there is alot of what could be deemed mite shaped things in my substrate due to it being forest floor etc I can't see anything moving.. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it,
I've looked under her neck etc and I can't see anything moving at all I've Checked the male fox snake too.. As i say there is alot of what could be deemed mite shaped things in my substrate due to it being forest floor etc I can't see anything moving.. Any other suggestions?
Check the temps in case she's doing it because she's too hot? My snakes all bathed excessively during this summer's heatwaves.
Old 20-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Citizen

Get a damp white cloth and wipe the snake with it when she is dry. If you see black dots on the cloth, crush them and you will see a blood coloured smudge if its mites. They're usually are around the eye sockets, so pay particular attention to this area.
Old 20-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Regular

Thanks I'll double check but she's only on 28c but I'll drop it a little.. Is there anything I can check to totally eliminate mites?
Old 20-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Super Regular

Thanks 2540 I'll go get some white thick kitchen towel and give this a try.. And yes I'm very reluctant to go near her eyes
Old 20-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Thanks I'll double check but she's only on 28c but I'll drop it a little.. Is there anything I can check to totally eliminate mites?
Other than what GT2540 suggested, nothing other than the visual checks you've done. If it's not mites or overheating (& at 28c it's not overheating IMO), then I'm at a loss to suggest why she's doing it.
Old 20-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Super Regular

I'm just headed into town to grab a white towel and I'll give that a try.. Would I see the mites moving on her if she had them?
Old 20-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Gold Star Member

How are you measuring the temperatures?

Have you introduced anything new to the enclosure that may have been a carrier for mites ?

Malc