Housing dilema - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 20-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Egg
Default Housing dilema

Hi all I'm not sure what to do as heard
different stories.. I have got two ball pythons age around a year when I got them they were in a small tank together. I seperated them cause was told they could turn canabalitic. They are now in a divided 6ft x2ftx2ft tank but want to know if it's necessary and can I put them back together thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Gold Star Member

Most (not all) snakes do not co-habit. They are solitary animals. A 3' x 2' x 2' enclosure is fine for a Royal python all the way to adulthood.

Royals are not cannibalistic, and whoever told you that is talking out of the ass.

Best advice. Keep them separated. Treat the divided enclosure as two individual vivariums (so heat separately with their own heaters and thermostats)

Oh and the internet and humans being what they are, you'll probably receive conflicting advice

Malc

Old 20-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Premier Member

Many people do cohabit. It's an often debated subject and with a few exceptions there is no right or wrong answer.
If you decide to cohabit them, then the Viv is big enough. The main problem is feeding, so separate to feed.
The other issue is if you have male and female. If they are too young and mate then you are likely to risk eggbinding. So in that scenario keep separate until they are adult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Premier Member

if you do decide to co-habit then just bare in mind you are still going to need a spare permanent enclosure available at all times just in case problems arise.

i highly recommend searching for previous threads regarding 'co-habiting' and weigh up the pros & cons.
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa - (Soon to be arriving)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 20-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Most (not all) snakes do not co-habit. They are solitary animals. A 3' x 2' x 2' enclosure is fine for a Royal python all the way to adulthood.

Royals are not cannibalistic, and whoever told you that is talking out of the ass.

Best advice. Keep them separated. Treat the divided enclosure as two individual vivariums (so heat separately with their own heaters and thermostats)

Oh and the internet and humans being what they are, you'll probably receive conflicting advice
This. & no snakes become cannibalistic, they either are or aren't, or in the case of many colubrids can be so as hatchlings but grow out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Many people do cohabit. It's an often debated subject and with a few exceptions there is no right or wrong answer.
If you decide to cohabit them, then the Viv is big enough. The main problem is feeding, so separate to feed.
The other issue is if you have male and female. If they are too young and mate then you are likely to risk eggbinding. So in that scenario keep separate until they are adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanna View Post
if you do decide to co-habit then just bare in mind you are still going to need a spare permanent enclosure available at all times just in case problems arise.

i highly recommend searching for previous threads regarding 'co-habiting' and weigh up the pros & cons.
I successfully cohabitted a pair of royals for several years- a PITA feeding them though, as they got arsey & bitey when being separated, as they knew it was feeding time & didn't like being disturbed.
Old 20-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Egg

Thankyou everyone
Old 20-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
This. & no snakes become cannibalistic, they either are or aren't, or in the case of many colubrids can be so as hatchlings but grow out of it.

I successfully cohabitted a pair of royals for several years- a PITA feeding them though, as they got arsey & bitey when being separated, as they knew it was feeding time & didn't like being disturbed.

This one looks a little bit cannibalistic, maybe it never went on the internet to learn that it shouldn’t be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Gold Star Member

In this example it could have been due to the exceptional circumstances but it proves that it can and does happen.

I wouldn’t have any hesitation in co-habitting two females in a 6 x 2 so long as the viv is well thought out.
Old 21-10-2019, 01:14 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuG View Post

This one looks a little bit cannibalistic, maybe it never went on the internet to learn that it shouldn’t be!
Well that's a first for me. In 33 years of keeping royals I've never heard or seen anything like that image....

A quick google and digging into the story a bit further, the consensus from people posting on forums at the time the images did the rounds (maybe even for the second time) was that both snakes were almost in an emaciated state and the stress of the transportation made the larger eat the smaller. How true who knows, but every one agreed it is very rare in royals but can and does happen.

Interesting and I stand corrected. - Just goes to show that we're never too old to learn

Malc

Old 21-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Ultra Citizen

I don't think it's about being cannibalistic per se. I think it's about opportunism and perhaps confusion. I think the risk always exists with cohabiting, whatever the species, but under normal circumstances, concerning royals, it's rare.