Appreciation/Gratification - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 22-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Regular
Default Appreciation/Gratification

How do you guys personally appreciate and receive gratification from keeping and caring for a pet snake? Unlike a cat or dog, they will not love you back and/or play with you. Besides being nice to look at, what keeps you gratified from keeping them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantTouchThis7126 View Post
How do you guys personally appreciate and receive gratification from keeping and caring for a pet snake? Unlike a cat or dog, they will not love you back and/or play with you. Besides being nice to look at, what keeps you gratified from keeping them?

I just love watching them in their vivs ..occasionally I get them out and have them rest / sleep on my lap ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Hatchling

i love them for a few reasons. watching them move around is amazing, the way they sometimes climb with seemingly no effort or movement from the rest of their body is fascinating.
then they are just funny sometimes too. my corn snake has a love for burrowing and spending the day popping her head out in random places. i know she isnt, but its almost like she is just playing at times because you spot her and the next time you look you find her again. she can do that for hours. she also seems to really like pulling the glasses off my face, once they are off she will go back to what she was doing. which my mum finds hysterical.
a big one is i find the handling incredibly therapeutic. having to move slowly and watch the body language its almost like tai chi.

plus its just a great world to immerse yourself in, so much to learn both with the animals themselves and their care. i love seeing peoples efforts with enclosures and what/how they build them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Citizen

Them not killing me
StuG likes this.
Old 22-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigotbush View Post
a big one is i find the handling incredibly therapeutic. having to move slowly and watch the body language its almost like tai chi.
That's a big part of it for me as well. I find that if handling a snake, for the snake to be calm you must be calm yourself. So yes, therapeutic is the word.

Aside from that, because handling is only an occasional thing and a small part of it, I really just find them beautiful and fascinating in equal measure. And I love the way they go from babies that freak out and disappear for cover as soon as you enter the room, to being completely unbothered by your presence when they get a bit older. Winning over an animal in that way, one which is so completely different from us, is also very rewarding, I think.
Old 22-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Gold Star Member

When I get bored of them I make beautiful handbags for my girlfriend from them, I find this very gratifying!
Roseanna and GT2540 like this.
Old 22-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuG View Post
When I get bored of them I make beautiful handbags for my girlfriend from them, I find this very gratifying!
We don't want to know what you get up to in your spare time!
StuG likes this.
Old 23-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Premier Citizen

I like creating vivarium environments for them. I find working with them cathartic, cleaning them out etc etc. The most important aspect for me is being able to handle them calmly, without stressing them. I think there is a mutual understanding, but this is my own interpretation, I'm sure some others would say that this is not even possible, but I disagree. There is a familiarity with snakes, particularly after having them from when they were hatchlings or neonates. I get a far deeper more profound connection from interacting with my Anaconda than I would from meeting new people at a party, which I usually avoid if possible.

I cannot really explain my fascination for them, I have been passionate since I was 3 or 4 years old. I find them beautiful but many people are disgusted by them. Each to their own I guess.
Keeping reptiles for a long time does not mean you know everything. It does not mean you cannot learn more to improve your knowledge, and you can learn from anyone, including relative newcomers. Knowing a lot about reptiles does not give you the right to be arrogant, it simply makes you look arrogant, however, anyone should be prepared for a blunt response if you start spouting rubbish.

Last edited by Uromastyxman; 23-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Smelling

Tags
gratification , snake , worth it