sand boa not eating - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 24-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscelatore View Post
Oof I hope not. They had babies there, too, I just chose him I thought babies would be too small for me rn.
Definitely not feeling the best about this, but he's here now. I'll let him chill and try in a week or so with live. As much as I love him, I feel terrible now for sure.
I'm really doubtful they did. They only pay two eggs in a good clutch and the eggs are VERY hard to incubate . Imagine a snake egg that needs humidity to avoid drying out laid in an arid very low humidity area. You can then see the difficulty in hatching in captivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2019, 01:27 AM
Premier Member

Here's what I would try.
Switch off the heat mat. Increase the temperature to 34C at the basking spot.
Leave the snake well alone. No handling, moving, weighing, nothing. Take out the water bowl.
After a week offer a defrost pink, thoroughly washed and dried and wrapped in lizard skin.
That should work.
When I had a WC Saharan male, feeding was not an issue. Strike fed on defrost mice every time.
So either your husbandry isn't right or it isn't recognising mice as food.
Old 25-10-2019, 01:38 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Here's what I would try.
Switch off the heat mat. Increase the temperature to 34C at the basking spot.
Leave the snake well alone. No handling, moving, weighing, nothing. Take out the water bowl.
After a week offer a defrost pink, thoroughly washed and dried and wrapped in lizard skin.
That should work.
When I had a WC Saharan male, feeding was not an issue. Strike fed on defrost mice every time.
So either your husbandry isn't right or it isn't recognising mice as food.
Gotchu. Heat mat is already taken off, ill get a stronger bulb today and take the water bowl out.

I can also get lizard feeders (surprisingly can get those easier than live mice) if that would be something to try? (either for the lizard skin or just as a feeder in general)

I feel terrible he's wc, but it's a learning experience I guess. I hope someone can come across this forum before getting one. Also gonna message / review the "breeder." Gonna give him the best life possible while I can.

Thank you all so much, honestly. It means a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Egg

UTH removed, substrate is about 4 inches

Has lotta cover in form of large leaf litter and fake plants

No water bowl

surface of substrate is 31-33 C

Gonna not even open the tub for a little over a week. Gives me time to get a feeder lizard. Gonna try the lizard itself first, hopefully he'll take it. Then transition to mice.
Old 26-10-2019, 01:32 AM
Premier Member

What substrate are you using.
Old 26-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Egg

Quote:
What substrate are you using.
I have aspen in there rn. I know they're "sand" boas but I've always been very cautious of using actual sand
Old 26-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscelatore View Post
I have aspen in there rn. I know they're "sand" boas but I've always been very cautious of using actual sand
Aspen is fine to use. It allows them to burrow but doesn't get compacted and heavy like some sands can.
Old 26-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Egg

Quote:
Aspen is fine to use. It allows them to burrow but doesn't get compacted and heavy like some sands can.
Ye he seems to like the burrows he makes. I'm probably going to try a feeder lizard itself to make sure he gets something in him and then transition to at least f/t lizards if not. mice.

for feeding, he really doesn't like to stay near the surface. I know they stick their heads out to strike, I can never tell where he is. For a live lizard (w tongs of course) should i just move it around until he strikes? if i can't see exactly where he is

Tags
eating , sand boa , snake ( boas )