(Dwarf Burm) Python bivittatus progschai - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 12-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOak View Post
I have one, his parents were WC, he is by far the calmest of my collection and I've been pretty lucky with temperaments so that's saying something. He's not remotely head shy and has not once struck at me. He can be a little hissy when I'm getting him out but calms right down immediately. He absolutely slams down food as well.

I think the hissing is a given with all Burms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 13-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOak View Post
I have one, his parents were WC, he is by far the calmest of my collection and I've been pretty lucky with temperaments so that's saying something. He's not remotely head shy and has not once struck at me. He can be a little hissy when I'm getting him out but calms right down immediately. He absolutely slams down food as well.

Sounds like all the captive born ones are just as docile as mainland. How old is yours? and how big is he?. thanks.
Old 19-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Egg

The originals
2003-4 Imports Indo & Japan
2008 Imports Indo

First breedings
2004 Peter foulsham
2008 Genetic Gems
2012 Daniel Wise
After 2012 they slowly became more available but still rare to see.

There are 6 bloodlines of Dwarf Burmese globally in captivity. Il start with import dates not who works with what line.
2003 Peter Foulshams bloodline Indo
2003 My Bloodline Japan
2004 Two German bloodlines Indo
2004 Bob Clark’s bloodline Indo
2008 Troy Clements & Genetic Gems Indo.

David Crooper, Myself, Daniel Wise, Troy Clements I believe to be the only people in the UK with unrelated bloodlines, even though most came from Indo.

To answer your question simply, Dwarfs are in no way shape or form mainlands, behaviour is different, head shape & scale count, egg shape & size. They may look like mainlands but it’s honestly like comparing a Indian python to a Burmese python, there cousins not localities like Retics & they can only be found on one island.

There is one morph of Dwarf Burmese which is the silver sided butterscotch. This is the only true Dwarf morph. Everything else is HD “Half Dwarf” but that’s a completely different ball game.

The originals were awful to work with, they bite a lot, they pissed and shit all over you & was definitely a hands off snake. Now believe it or not with captive breeding we have calmed them down & shrunken there size. Originals were 10ft and under my male was 7ft and a tank, the female around 9ft these were the only close to 10fters around. As people we hear Dwarf and limit or prolong food, therefore creating smaller adults making smaller eggs giving smaller hatchlings. This is why they have stunted In size and finding a 8ft+ Dwarf female is now pretty hard. temperament is literally just hands on working with them after generations this can be done with any snake to be honest.

All mine now are 2012+ generation so are all very easy to work with providing the correct set up is used. They burrow a lot, they hide a lot & the bath a lot. There are of course still very vocal. There will always be one defensive snake but trust me I’d rather a new gen dwarf to a original again
mick g, Roseanna, danl and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Zoo View Post
The originals
2003-4 Imports Indo & Japan
2008 Imports Indo

First breedings
2004 Peter foulsham
2008 Genetic Gems
2012 Daniel Wise
After 2012 they slowly became more available but still rare to see.

There are 6 bloodlines of Dwarf Burmese globally in captivity. Il start with import dates not who works with what line.
2003 Peter Foulshams bloodline Indo
2003 My Bloodline Japan
2004 Two German bloodlines Indo
2004 Bob Clark’s bloodline Indo
2008 Troy Clements & Genetic Gems Indo.

David Crooper, Myself, Daniel Wise, Troy Clements I believe to be the only people in the UK with unrelated bloodlines, even though most came from Indo.

To answer your question simply, Dwarfs are in no way shape or form mainlands, behaviour is different, head shape & scale count, egg shape & size. They may look like mainlands but it’s honestly like comparing a Indian python to a Burmese python, there cousins not localities like Retics & they can only be found on one island.

There is one morph of Dwarf Burmese which is the silver sided butterscotch. This is the only true Dwarf morph. Everything else is HD “Half Dwarf” but that’s a completely different ball game.

The originals were awful to work with, they bite a lot, they pissed and shit all over you & was definitely a hands off snake. Now believe it or not with captive breeding we have calmed them down & shrunken there size. Originals were 10ft and under my male was 7ft and a tank, the female around 9ft these were the only close to 10fters around. As people we hear Dwarf and limit or prolong food, therefore creating smaller adults making smaller eggs giving smaller hatchlings. This is why they have stunted In size and finding a 8ft+ Dwarf female is now pretty hard. temperament is literally just hands on working with them after generations this can be done with any snake to be honest.

All mine now are 2012+ generation so are all very easy to work with providing the correct set up is used. They burrow a lot, they hide a lot & the bath a lot. There are of course still very vocal. There will always be one defensive snake but trust me I’d rather a new gen dwarf to a original again
Thanks so much for that information.
I recently brought a 2 year old female from a breeder in Colchester called Troy so i am guessing Troy Clements, he showed me some paper work saying his adult pair were imported in 2008. I am after a male now for a future breeding project. Have you any available. ?
Old 19-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Egg

Yeah that will be Troy, I don’t have any available but! If you get a male from snakes and adders which are David Cropper’s line you will have a completely unrelated pair
Old 19-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Zoo View Post
Yeah that will be Troy, I don’t have any available but! If you get a male from snakes and adders which are David Cropper’s line you will have a completely unrelated pair
Thank you.

Tags
dwarf burmese , dwarf burmese python