6 month western hognose no longer eating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Egg
Default 6 month western hognose no longer eating

Hi! I just got my first snake 1,5 months back (6 month old female snow morph western hoggie) from a reputable breeder at an expo.

First month home was great. She was everything I'd read that hognoses weren't; eating unscented, frozen-thawed pinkies (1-2 every 4 days) like a champ, hadn't hissed or fanned once. Then the following happened:

She had eaten one of the two pinkies provided. She took the second one from its side and started chomping down hard to idk, kill it? Deflate it? She then turned it around and was about to eat it butt first when she dropped it. When I offered it to her again (head first) she hissed and bluffed at it.

This was three feedings (or 12 days) ago and ever since then she has hissed, fanned and bluffed at every pinkie in sight. She is excited until she sees the pinkie. Sometimes she will approach as if to strike but then changes her mind, jumps back and has a hissy fit. When I lay it down she will smell it carefully before abandoning it. My breeder reckoned she got scared that one time and suggested leaving a pinkie in an empty toilet paper roll over night every other day until she takes it, but I've had no success as of yet.

Should I try something else or continue with the paper roll thing? I feel like a new mother with this girl, even though I've been keeping other reptiles for 10+ years.

Also worth mentioning is that she is kind of wrinkly when she bends? I read that this could be signs of a bad shed or dehydration? As far as I can see there's no other signs of her going into shed. She has a big, though shallow "bowl" (it's a food dish from Exo Terra) of water I change every day. I haven't seen her drink but she slithers into it quite often so she knows it's there. Otherwise she seems healthy. She explores, digs, poops. The warm side of the enclosure is 32°c and the cool about 24 in the day, 22 at night. She has a damp hide with spagnum moss that I mist every other day. She weighed 21 grams on october 20th which I'm not 100% sure is normal? I've heard everything from 50-100 grams for a 6 month old female hog but as I said, I'm not sure.

All advice and suggestions are highly appreciated! 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Premier Member

The crinkly appearance suggests she has missed her shed. If that's the case on her in a secure box with tepid water, slightly deeper than he height of her body and leave her in there for about 15/20 minutes. This should soften the skin so that she can then shed.
How exactly are you heating her, heat mat or overhead heater? What depth of substrate do you have?
Shedding problems are almost ways due to husbandry issues.
If you can attach a photo of the snake and the set up this will also help.
Malc likes this.
Old 14-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
The crinkly appearance suggests she has missed her shed. If that's the case on her in a secure box with tepid water, slightly deeper than he height of her body and leave her in there for about 15/20 minutes. This should soften the skin so that she can then shed.
How exactly are you heating her, heat mat or overhead heater? What depth of substrate do you have?
Shedding problems are almost ways due to husbandry issues.
If you can attach a photo of the snake and the set up this will also help.
Thank you so much! She's in her bath as we speak. Could her missed shed have affected her eating?

I have a heat mat and thermostat set to 32°c. There's about 3-4 centimetres of aspen but I try to have less inside her hides.

When I figure out how to attach the photos I will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoggieGeckoSlider View Post

When I figure out how to attach the photos I will!
Posting pictures on RUFK

Web Browser

• From the top menu select UserCP
• Under the Networking section on the left menu select Pictures and Albums
• Click Add Album
• Click Upload Pictures
• Click on choose file – A normal file explorer box will pop up
• Navigate to the location of the image on the PC and select open
• Repeat for two more images if required
• Click upload pictures
• Enter a caption if required
• Click save changes
• Click on the picture thumbnail to open it
• Right click on the full image and select copy image address or copy image url (depending on browser)
• Navigate back to the snake forum and create a new post or reply to an existing thread
• To insert the image, click on the image icon (yellow square with grey mountains)
• In the pop-up paste the URL that you just copied (right click and paste or CTRL+V)
• Click on OK
• The image will now be inserted in the post
HoggieGeckoSlider likes this.

Malc

Old 14-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Egg

It says I'm not allowed to add attachments so I hope this works.

https://imgur.com/a/UY7Pb4x
Old 14-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Egg

Old 14-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Citizen

Looks fine tome, probably just getting ready for the winter.

Snakes who's appetite is diminished because of the season often view their normal prey as a threat, thus the reaction.
bluesmangraham likes this.
Old 14-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Premier Member

I'm not seeing retained shed.
I personally would ditch the heat mat in favour for either a ceramic or basking lamp. I would also raise the temperature slightly at the warm end. Mats really do not warm the air, certainly not enough for a hognose to be comfortable.
Purgatory likes this.
Old 14-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Gold Star Member

Agree with Ian, a ceramic or lamp would be better at maintaining temperature and would have the benefit of providing a warmer ambien air temperature. This time of year the average room temperature in the small hours can drop to 18c or lower.

I would also suggest either replacing the all glass enclosure with a wooden vivarium, or line the outside of the glass enclosure on the sides, top and back with 1" thick polystyrene to prevent heat loss
Purgatory likes this.

Malc

Old 14-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Egg

Thank you for your advice! So I shouldn't be worried about her not eating and being a wrinkly sausage?

I've been planning to change out my turtles regular heat lamps for ceramic ones for a while now so I'll get one for my hog as well while I'm at it.