Watching them grow - Page 8 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-05-2020, 03:32 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
My god royals can be stupid at times. They've gone up a rat size and I was unsure if they might be a bit big for the banana boy who's the smallest but he took it no problem and was all done in under 10 mins.

It's been 2 hours now and my biggest royal has only just started eating hers. She kept trying to eat it butt first. Then she decided to constrict it again. Then she sniffed it for a while and then tried eating the tail. She then constricted it again and is now eating it head first.

I warm their rats and then hot head them and this usually works fine but of course by the time this girl had finished messing about the whole rat would have been barely warm!

Oh dear, definitely dopey
Tonight our girl, 2500+ grams. Who’s been cooling herself and ready to breed decided she was now hungry. Partner was feeding the other royals, then said he’d try her out of curiosity, well he was holding the rat with the tongs and wanted to ‘rearrange’ it for a better grip considering she’s a big girl, and well he wasn’t quick enough. She saw it by his leg and as he moved and lent up to put the rat down to rearrange she struck and bite his leg
She then enjoyed the rat which she struck at after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demonique and **louise** like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hey Louise, I see all your corns have a piece of slate which they seem to be able to get under as well as on top of, is that right? Just curious how you're heating them, and whether the slate is involved - is there a ceramic above it or a mat below it or something?

Looks like it could be a really good idea so just wanted to understand how you've incorporated the slate.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
Hey Louise, I see all your corns have a piece of slate which they seem to be able to get under as well as on top of, is that right? Just curious how you're heating them, and whether the slate is involved - is there a ceramic above it or a mat below it or something?

Looks like it could be a really good idea so just wanted to understand how you've incorporated the slate.
Hey! They each have a slate place mat which is lifted at one end with some rocks so that they can get underneath it. They seem to really like this type of hide. The vivs are heated by a 20w mini halogen bulb directly over the slate area. There is no heat mat and the lamps go off at night allowing temps to drop but the slate remains warm for a little while after. I also have LED lights in them just to keep the vivs lit up when the bulbs dims (they're on digital dimmer day/night stats). They have other hides and a water bowl at the other end

wilkinss77 and johndavidwoods like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks! Looks like a very good idea, one which I will be nicking when I get back to keeping corns and other rat snakes.
**louise** likes this.
Old 18-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Posting Deity

Woke up to a freshly shed caramel corn snake. This girl is getting so big. All the corn snakes are just coming up to 1 year old.

Old 18-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

She's gorgeous! Caramel was always one of my favourite morphs.
**louise** likes this.
Old 22-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Posting Deity

The corn snakes having a feed. As usual the caramel girl took hers into her hide. The phantom is going into shed which I didn't realise until she came out her hide. The lava has just shed as has the hypo.

johndavidwoods likes this.
Old 22-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Posting Deity

All of the royals have "emptied" over the last week so I thought I'd weigh them all before their next feed.

Butter pin female (in shed) 784g

Pastave female (in shed) 741g

Banana lesser male, just shed 512g

Super pastave Yb 524g
Old 25-05-2020, 02:47 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default I forgot to feed my snakes

Edit: Posted here by mistake

In keeping with the title of this thread I have four juvenile snakes, three were bought at 2-3 months of age, the other was bought at 5 months of age, they're all around a year now. I'll post pics when I get aroun to it

Last edited by Demonique; 25-05-2020 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Posted post here instead of making a new post
Old 18-06-2020, 06:29 PM
Posting Deity

These 4 are getting so big now

Mallythebeast likes this.