Feeding pinkies to adult snakes? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-11-2019, 05:53 AM
Egg
Default Feeding pinkies to adult snakes?

Hope this is the right place to ask this!

I don't have a snake yet. Not planning to for a while yet as I do my research. But after a lot of googling, I haven't found an answer to this question.

Is it ok to feed pinkies to an adult snake? Just on ocassion?

I breed mice for showing and cull down litters when they're 1-3 days old, sometimes a little older. As a result I have pinkies available most of the time.

I don't know if it helps/changes anything, but I'm considering either a corn snake or kingsnake.

Thanks for reading 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Premier Member

An adult would gain no nutrition from a pink.
You would be better off advertising them for sale.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Good to know, thank you 🙂
I had kind of wondered if that was the case but couldn't really find an answer so figured I'd ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Ultra Citizen

Maybe cull them and freeze them and sell them frozen. I suspect they'll be better quality than the mass produced ones.
Old 26-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvi View Post
Maybe cull them and freeze them and sell them frozen. I suspect they'll be better quality than the mass produced ones.
Do you think a low price would put people off, make them think there's something wrong with them? I have no real use for them really and I'd like them to have some "use", I wouldn't be looking to make any profit particularly.

My mice are certainly well cared for and the culled pinkies just a byproduct of raising show mice. So I would think/hope they'd be of fairly decent quality.
Old 27-11-2019, 04:29 AM
Super Regular

The pinkie would feed baby corns but not adults. With regard to the low price putting people off well it might but once you explain what goes into feeding the adults then people should buy them. People buy them from pet shops without ever thinking to ask what the adults were fed. Only way to know is to test the water just before your litters are due and see if get any takers.
Old 27-11-2019, 04:55 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoaty View Post
The pinkie would feed baby corns but not adults. With regard to the low price putting people off well it might but once you explain what goes into feeding the adults then people should buy them. People buy them from pet shops without ever thinking to ask what the adults were fed. Only way to know is to test the water just before your litters are due and see if get any takers.
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I'll have to find out where's good/ok to post it and see if there's any takers. Or just post on this forum.

Thanks for all the help guys. Nice to not be laughed at for asking maybe silly questions, lol.
Old 27-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Citizen

See, l think there's no reason why you couldn't occasionally feed the pinkies to an adult snake, as long as it's not at every meal.

I have fed pinks and fuzzies to my adult corns every now and then - if l had any left if one of my hatchlings refused to feed - as a tiny snack, or with their adult mouse.

It's not that they can't get any nutrition from them, they just aren't as complete meal as an adult mouse ( low in calcium for example ), so if you fed solely on pinkies, the snake would be deficient in some nutrients. Plus, you'd have to feed a lot of pinks per meal to make the25-30 g an adult corn would need.
johndavidwoods and Zincubus like this.
Old 27-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I disagree. An adult snake definitely would not be getting the same amount of nutrition but to say there is no nutrition is wrong.

I'd also be happy to bet that in the wild adult snakes would take pinkies if they managed to come across a rodents nest with young in. A single pinky, not much of a meal but a nest of them could be viable food.

OP doesn't state species so I'm referring to common species up to 6ft or so.
johndavidwoods likes this.
Old 27-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi View Post
Do you think a low price would put people off, make them think there's something wrong with them? I have no real use for them really and I'd like them to have some "use", I wouldn't be looking to make any profit particularly.

My mice are certainly well cared for and the culled pinkies just a byproduct of raising show mice. So I would think/hope they'd be of fairly decent quality.

You could see if you have a local pet shop that sells snake food (privately owned not a chain shop) that would take them in exchange for some mouse food? My local pet shop takes surplus roaches off me in exchange for dog treats. Or advertise them on the forum.