Corn Snake night time drop... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 AM
Regular
Default Corn Snake night time drop...

Im going to start giving my corn a night time drop in temperature but im wondering should I turn off all heat completely, or use a night time drop via a thermostat?

Now if I was in a newer house, better insulated etc id have no problem turning off heat totally but my house gets cold, colder than the average house, lowest I saw my room recently was around 12C, most info on corns would suggest thats too low, at the moment my room reads around 16C but that will fall lower as the night goes on...so would a drop in temp be better than turning off completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Gold Star Member

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...-guttatus.html

Malc

Old 06-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Regular

Going by that a drop to 20 - 22, this is why I asked as in another thread much lower was deemed okay...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
Going by that a drop to 20 - 22, this is why I asked as in another thread much lower was deemed okay...
I personally wouldn't let it drop as low as your room, I don't even provide a nighttime drop for my cornsnakes (shock horror, call the police lol) but if you really want to provide one then I'd personally use the thermostat as that will avoid any temperatures which could potentially be too low

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
SJ7 likes this.
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.0 Amazon Tree Boa - Igni
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 06-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Premier Member

As a temperate species corns should get a night time drop. The only snakes that encounter near constant conditions 24 hours a day are those found along the Equator and similar tropical environments.
As keepers we should be providing an environment that allows an animal to express normal behaviour. That includes differences in day and night heat and light, and seasonal variations too.
A night time temperature of 20 to 22 is absolutely fine. Don't forget that these should be brumated at 10 C this time of year so 20 overnight is quite safe.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Regular

Check how well your viv holds its heat, yesterday evening i had my windows open and the viv never dropped below 20°. Obviously i didnt leave them open overnight, i set my Thermostat to 22° at night and the heat lamp was just glowing a tiny bit when i got up this morning.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Gold Star Member

Where do you live, and how comes the house falls to 12c or lower.... We used to run our server room at work at 18c and that was ruddy cold.... Nice on a hot summers day to chill off for 5 minutes or so, but you didn't want to be working in there for long.

You don't say how you are heating the enclosure. If its by a mat then the cool end will typically be just a few degrees above ambient room temperature at most, with the warm end not much more depending on how warm the substrate gets.

Malc

Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Regular

A night time to 20c is ok, I personally don't go below 25c and a night time drop isn't essential unless your cycling form different seasons.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Where do you live, and how comes the house falls to 12c or lower.... We used to run our server room at work at 18c and that was ruddy cold.... Nice on a hot summers day to chill off for 5 minutes or so, but you didn't want to be working in there for long.

You don't say how you are heating the enclosure. If its by a mat then the cool end will typically be just a few degrees above ambient room temperature at most, with the warm end not much more depending on how warm the substrate gets.
I live in Ireland, I live in an old house, it only falls that low in the dead of night on very cold nights, when it was 12c it was like zero outside, last night coldest was around 14.5C I believe but it may have gotten colder I dont no it was cold out last night here, around 3c outside.

I heat the enclosure with a ceramic.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Regular

On the subject od temperatures I was just experimenting with the temps on the cold side of the enclosure and I've got various reading's, I'll put a picture for reference:

As you can see in the above picture, I have a thermometer probe just on top of the cold hide with another high in the tree covered with the leaves where he perches, the probe over the hide is 24.8C and the probe in the tree is reading 30C, I also put the probe on ground level and got a temp of 21 degrees, this is all on the cool side, 30C seems very high, Im assuming its this hot up high because hot air rises, but are these temps okay for the cool end? 30C seems high for the cool side.

Tags
corn snake , temperature drop , thermostat