Most shallow overhead heating. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-02-2020, 02:15 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Oh How Original
Default Most shallow overhead heating.

Afternoon folks.
Just been given a viv, which I intend to use for my Royal, initially I was going to buy a 4x2x2 but this is 18"x18", not being as tall as I first planned, I feel my original idea of a ceramic bulb and holder is going to hang a little bit too low.
What's the next best solution for overhead heating, that's as shallow as possible?

Member number: 49,175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Regular

i have seen these before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Pyt...BgVr6T-8sSx88w

but low profile guards may be a bit thing on the ground. never used them so couldnt say anything about them but at least its still normal fittings.
Old 16-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Super Regular

You should talk to Malc on here, i thing he was doing some trough ceramic heaters. which are ideal for low vivs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Forum Citizen

HabiStat Reptile Vivarium Radiator
Old 16-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Gold Star Member

Reptile Radiator will give the lowest profile - £58 plus a guard at around £18.00 - £76.00 in total, give or take

Or trough ceramic with reflector (and then a guard) which would give you 8-10cm from the top of the viv.

I've used Ceramicx heaters (be careful buying cheap ones off e-bay from China). The troughs start at 150w, and with the aluminium plated steel reflector and associated fitting kit will set you back around £30 + VAT plus shipping & Duty as Ceramicx are based in Southern Ireland. The only problem I found was finding a suitable powder coated guard, so I had some made by Custom Guards, but sadly they are no longer trading. The nearest you going to get is the guard for an AHS heater at £20.00 - so around £70.00 or there about.

I did purchase half a dozen kits a few years back, and offered them to members for around £90 a lit including next day courier (bear in mind I had custom guards made which were a tad more costly) - but they have since been sold or used in my own vivs

https://www.ceramicx.com/products/ce...rough-element/

https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk.../9632100018565
Attached Images

Malc

Old 16-02-2020, 06:58 PM
5 Star Member

Thanks folks, look like a reptile radiator might be the way to go.
So I have a further three questions.
Firstly, are wattages the same as bulbs for the same size viv, IE I always get a 150W bulb for a sub 4ft viv and they're always more than enough.
Will a 150W rad be ample in a 3-4ft set up? I merely ask this as most of the ones I've found are 75W.
Secondly, is their a preference to mounting them to the roof or to the side of the viv?
And lastly, what thermostat do they prefer to run on? Assuming they require an external thermostat.

Old 16-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Thanks folks, look like a reptile radiator might be the way to go.
So I have a further three questions.
Firstly, are wattages the same as bulbs for the same size viv, IE I always get a 150W bulb for a sub 4ft viv and they're always more than enough.
150w is the power consumption per hour. So a 150w light bulb will consume the same amount of power as a 150w ceramic heater. The difference is that say comparing a CHE to a spot is how directional the IR radiation is and how efficient the lamp or heater is. Its like the proverbial apples to oranges - there is no direct comparison. You may find that the CHE is more efficient than the lamp, so is not on for the same amount of time to maintain the temperature, so is cheaper to run.

Quote:
Will a 150W rad be ample in a 3-4ft set up? I merely ask this as most of the ones I've found are 75W.
I have 150w trough ceramics in 1200mm x 500mm x 370mm (l x h x d) vivariums. I also have one in my boa's vivarium which is a lot bigger. I've not used a radiator so can't really advise you if they work in the same way and emit IR in the same way as other forms of heating to give a basking spot, or simply are best suited to providing ambient background heat.

Quote:
Secondly, is their a preference to mounting them to the roof or to the side of the viv?
Err.. I make that thirdly
With CHE's they are best mounted to the roof. Not sure about the radiator, but then you were looking for a form of heating that doesn't perturbed into the vivarium, so can't see the point of mounting a radiator on the lower rear panel, especially as there is more chance of the snake coming into direct contact with it.

Quote:
And lastly, what thermostat do they prefer to run on? Assuming they require an external thermostat.
Yes you need a thermostat. Ceramics are designed for industrial heating and would normally run a lot lot hotter than when we need them for. Pulse proportional, or dimming thermostats work well with ceramics / radiators (which is basically a low wattage large area ceramic).

Forgot to add... don't get hung up on the wattage for a particular size enclosure. You could put a 250w heater in a 3' vivarium. Provided it controlled by a decent thermostat it will still maintain the sweet hot spot the same way as a 100w one will. From cold it will reach set temperature a bit quicker. The best analogy would be a drag race between a car with a 3.5ltr V8 engine and a 1300 family hatchback. They will both get pass the quarter mile line, but the V8 will do so a lot quicker, and still have power in reserve rather than running flat out.
Oh How Original likes this.

Malc

Last edited by Malc; 16-02-2020 at 08:55 PM..
Old 16-02-2020, 08:56 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
150w is the power consumption per hour. So a 150w light bulb will consume the same amount of power as a 150w ceramic heater. The difference is that say comparing a CHE to a spot is how directional the IR radiation is and how efficient the lamp or heater is. Its like the proverbial apples to oranges - there is no direct comparison. You may find that the CHE is more efficient than the lamp, so is not on for the same amount of time to maintain the temperature, so is cheaper to run.

I have 150w trough ceramics in 1200mm x 500mm x 370mm (l x h x d) vivariums. I also have one in my boa's vivarium which is a lot bigger. I've not used a radiator so can't really advise you if they work in the same way and emit IR in the same way as other forms of heating to give a basking spot, or simply are best suited to providing ambient background heat.

Err.. I make that thirdly
With CHE's they are best mounted to the roof. Not sure about the radiator, but then you were looking for a form of heating that doesn't perturbed into the vivarium, so can't see the point of mounting a radiator on the lower rear panel, especially as there is more chance of the snake coming into direct contact with it.

Yes you need a thermostat. Ceramics are designed for industrial heating and would normally run a lot lot hotter than when we need them for. Pulse proportional, or dimming thermostats work well with ceramics / radiators (which is basically a low wattage large area ceramic).
Thanks very much for all the helpful info Malc.
I've set up plenty of ceramic bulbs before, but never a rad.
All I've got right now is the mat stat, so that's something else to consider cost wise... But as I got the viv for basically nothing in mint condition, I can't grumble at a little extra cost to give her some more space.
I'm struggling to find a rad that's more than 75 watts though, I don't think she really needs a hot basking spot, so a nice gradient will do, but I don't think 75 watts would be up to the job personally.
Especially if I end up moving this all into an even bigger viv down the line, which I might end up doing.

Old 16-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Gold Star Member

Best I could advise would be to enter "reptile radiator" into the search this forum option and read up on previous posts from those who use them. Maybe drop any user a PM.

You have two options really. Either use a radiator or 100w tube heater on a pulse / dimmer stat to maintain the ambient air temp in the mid to upper 20's (centigrade) and then use a mat on its own stat (I also use pulse stats on the mats I have as it maintains a steady temperature better than a mat stat which has too much of a swing IMO) to maintain the 32c hot spot. Or use a traditional mushroom ceramic on a pulse / dimmer stat that will do the same job.

A third option is to place the ceramic into a home made box / guard that also gives the snake access to a slightly hotter hot spot.

My old DIY setup by way of an example
Oh How Original likes this.

Malc

Old 16-02-2020, 09:25 PM
5 Star Member

Cheers Malc, I am currently awaiting some replies from some sellers on eBay, shall see what they say tomorrow and go from there

Tags
heating , royal , vivarium