Kingsnake ban in uk? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 02-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Kingsnake ban in uk?

I have just seen a wanted post in classifieds for adult cali kings.

Someone replied with ' are you aware there is a ban on cali kings and all other getula complex kingsnakes probably coming into force very soon'
I can't believe this is true. Is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 06:14 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick g View Post

Someone replied with ' are you aware there is a ban on cali kings and all other getula complex kingsnakes probably coming into force very soon'

If it ever does happen then presumably if will only apply to selling / buying / importing ... not keeping them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Premier Member

just one of many posts

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...snake-ban.html

In a nutshell, there is an issue in the canary islands, Spain proposed an EU wide ban...

Not sure if its been ratified yet, nor if Brexit impacts its effects on the UK
mick g likes this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 PM
Forum Citizen

Not yet been ratified, likely won't be. Spain did not propose the EU ban, it was from a study conducted by the European Commission looking at a list of species that are likely to become a widespread threat based upon various climatic models in the next 50 years. According to the study kingsnakes are in the top 10 species, whether you agree with the study is another matter.

From this a risk assessment was completed in 2017 by representatives from Belgium, UK, Italy and Austria. While minor changes have been made as recently as Feb 2019, it is currently stuck in a holding pattern being reviewed by the Scientific Forum, on initial entry the Scientific Forum rejected the assessment. In all that time it hasn't even left the first stage of the process. It is not on the list for discussion for entry in 2020 or 2021.

We cannot possibly know what happens with Brexit until deals have happened.

And there always seems to be a lack of knowledge on what this "ban" means. If you have individuals prior to the ban coming into force, you can still keep them. You just cannot move/sell/buy/breed. If you are a breeder/shop you will have a grace period to sell off any stock, some species this has been as long as 2 years. Again we won't know the details of the grace period until it gets past the first step.

Also if it does get past the Scientific Forum, it will go up for public consultation so if you want to input then, you can do.

TM
wilkinss77 and mick g like this.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Regular

From a quick bit of research the horizon scanning document that placed it as a species in urgent need of risk assessement was written in 2014, published in 2015. It presented these species as likely to be invasive (in mainland europe, including uk) within the next 10 years. The actual assessment is worth reading if anyone has a bit of patience. I don't personally agree with it entirely, it places a lot of stock in getula kingsnakes being a beginners species and therefore likely that beginners will be letting them escape a lot. Some of these conclusions appear to have come from internet forums and newspaper records of escapes.
mick g and Tortoise Man like this.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Posting Deity

No ban has yet been confirmed or ratified. It's currently on hiatus having failed to get implemented last time round.
mick g and danl like this.
Old 23-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick g View Post

No it's not.
It's a false story that was perpetuated by the FBH by misrepresenting facts.

Tags
cali king