Repti-chip substrate - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-03-2020, 05:32 AM
Hatchling
Default Repti-chip substrate

Hi guys,

I ordered a Repti-chip block a couple of weeks ago as I was encountering bad sheds during winter with my Royal I saw the reviews Repti-chip was getting and decided to give it a try. I was skeptical at first and didn't see it being much different from bark etc. She shed last night perfectly to my amazement as the room she's in can get quite dry at this time of year I usually have to soak her to get bits of stuck shed off. I have tried massive water dishes, orchid bark, eco earth, jungle bedding, paper and basically every other substrate. I highly recommend it if you have a snake that doesn't shed great in the colder months. I will carry on using it as the humidity is consistent and I'm not having to mist every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Premier Member

It is good at holding humidity, and it will take ages for the product to release the gallon of water it soaks up... but there lays a problem.

Have a read of this page of a thread on various substrates

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...bstrate-6.html

IMO the product is fine if you are using glass vivaria or a commercial rack system.... It's not suitable for using in wooden viv if you follow the instructions. I retained around 30lts in a tub, to let it dry out... and then a week placing several handfuls at a time under a ceramic heater at 40c to dry it out completely. It's now in use in two of the Vivariums with light coloured royals to show them off at their best.

Reptichip is good product, its keenly priced and it does indeed raise humidity well, however having a royal at 80+% all the time IMO is not good for its health and could lead to an RI.

Malc

Old 29-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Premier Member

I'm waiting on a delivery from Herpexotics (Simon Lings new business) of their new "HerpHusk" - three blocks for £20 plus delivery.

Here's just one of the many UK Youtube channels that recently reviewed this product in comparison to Reptichip

https://youtu.be/5JPX-xv1Fr0

In this one Gavin also does a similar video https://youtu.be/ywl9Ja-H6PE but tries to steer away from the elehan in the room - the price difference.

I'll let you know my opinions when the order arrives

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Hatchling

Yeah I seen the video that Gavin posted the other day it looks decent especially at 3 for £20. I'm almost out of repti-chip so if you would recommend it when it comes I will get a few blocks.
Old 30-04-2020, 07:26 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
I'm waiting on a delivery from Herpexotics (Simon Lings new business) of their new "HerpHusk" - three blocks for £20 plus delivery.

Here's just one of the many UK Youtube channels that recently reviewed this product in comparison to Reptichip

https://youtu.be/5JPX-xv1Fr0

In this one Gavin also does a similar video https://youtu.be/ywl9Ja-H6PE but tries to steer away from the elehan in the room - the price difference.

I'll let you know my opinions when the order arrives
How did you order this please Malc I have messaged on fb messenger but has,nt got back to me? Thanks
Old 30-04-2020, 09:29 AM
Premier Member

I telephoned Ridgeway Exotics as I don't use Facebook anymore. Rang them around midday Tuesday, the parcel arrived just before 9.00am today...
mick g likes this.

Malc

Old 30-04-2020, 01:30 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick g View Post
How did you order this please Malc I have messaged on fb messenger but has,nt got back to me? Thanks
I messaged them yesterday morning to order some. It arrived 10min ago on my door step !
Old 30-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwen_7 View Post
I messaged them yesterday morning to order some. It arrived 10min ago on my door step !
And you are right at the other end of the country from them

Malc

Old 30-04-2020, 02:54 PM
Regular

Indeed! Seriously impressed by how quick it was.
I'm looking forward to trying it. Although having never used any substrate like this I think I'll end up making far to much for one 4ft viv
Old 30-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwen_7 View Post
Indeed! Seriously impressed by how quick it was.
I'm looking forward to trying it. Although having never used any substrate like this I think I'll end up making far to much for one 4ft viv
I posted earlier on the "search for the perfect substrate" thread, but I would suggest braking the block down dry and storing in a 33ltr RUB, then take what you need for the 4' viv, add about half to three quarters of a litre of water and stir it around with your hands until all the water has been absorbed and all the chips are damp. This has resulted in a 69-71% humidity level @32c in the viv that I'm testing this in.

Malc