Retic enclosure size - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 10-04-2020, 01:20 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamcara View Post
Lol I've done a fair bit of research into retics I've been interested in the bigger snakes for quite a while now. I'm asking for opinions more than anything realy, there's alot of conflicting info out there on the Ol intranets...

Power feeding seems to be a big problem with retics, a correct feeding regime seems to keep the snakes size from exploding.

I've read a few methods of tap training and wonder which people would think most successful and kind I prefer the method of covering the head to disperses the feeding response... Seems kindest. Building trust and avoiding the 3 feed response ques should go along way to avoid getting a taste of the old fangalangs...

I spoke to the breeder (who is supposed to be quite well respected in the retic world as it goes) as Ive read so much contradicting info and he said six to eight foot should be fine (but impossible to accurately determine the final size of the adult snake... ). Either way I'm a fabricator so could make something cool looking about of stainless & poly-carb if he out grows the 6-8ft one I guess...

Substrate seems to be an interesting topic, so many viable choices lol!

I like the idea of a movable wall to adjust the size of the viv, will take a bit of messing about with the thermotat ect but we'll worth it! Plus would be good for safety if anyone elce has to feed him, could use as a seg panel then withdraw it once the food has been placed an viv closed up ��
No way could a full size retic variant, a snake that grows to 12' minimum & up to 20', live in an 8' viv as an adult. The only retic that could is an SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2020, 02:39 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamcara View Post

I spoke to the breeder (who is supposed to be quite well respected in the retic world as it goes) as Ive read so much contradicting info and he said six to eight foot should be fine (but impossible to accurately determine the final size of the adult snake... ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
No way could a full size retic variant, a snake that grows to 12' minimum & up to 20', live in an 8' viv as an adult. The only retic that could is an SD.
This was my thoughts - can you imagine something like Steve d's tiger retic being squeezed into an 8' enclosure.

My (granted somewhat limited) experience with a retic was one of about 15' - 17'. It was often let out in the house "under supervision" ( minimum of two other people) whilst its 12' x 4' x 3' viv was cleaned.

However, we could continue to make suggestions and voice our opinions Wilks, but at the end of the day it's the OP's choice what they keep and how they go about managing it.

That video covers a lot of good points, including the fact that its impossible to predict how big a snake gets. I have a male boa. Most would say that they max out at 6-7 feet... he was measured at 8'3" He could do with being put into a larger viv as the one he's in would be ideal for a 6' boa, but is a little narrow for him. But I don't have the physical space to house a 8' x 3' x 3' enclosure... he's not cramped in his current enclosure, but it does way on my mind that he outgrew the enclosure and this was based on information from the breeder ( I even saw the snakes parents and the female was just over 7').
wilkinss77 likes this.

Malc

Old 10-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 23

With 18 years of experience in keeping and breeding retics I can give the advice and help needed here without guess work or just opinions.

Gender - makes a slight difference in the end size of the retic you chose therefore the end result in enclosure required.

Locality - whether pure or cross bred, the island in which they have come from can determine the growth rate and potential end size.

Feeding - the regime and size of food offered will impact the growth rate in either direction remembering young retics would feed more frequently than adults and the size of food offered to digest.

Heating and humidity - humidity to be around 80% and temps at the hot spot 85-88 degrees F. So for a suitable substrate to maintain this. Coco coir, orchid bark mixed. (Remember when you put a new bag of orchid in some time you get a high spike in humidity so vent out a bit )

Before the big viv- Tubs are fine to use before jumping to a big viv again young retics are much more active than adults (adults can still be very active when out)

Hope this has answered some of your questions. I tend to sell to shops are only males because generally the end size result is more manageable in terms of length and girth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Egg

Check out (retic rebel, mostly snakes, reach out reptiles) over on YouTube. Very informative channels, and by far the best
Old 10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Premier Member

Just caught up on yesterday's episode of "kings of pain" - boy that retic shredded them to pieces !!!

https://youtu.be/pLKGo5MZSOE
wilkinss77 likes this.

Malc

Old 10-04-2020, 09:23 PM
Premier Citizen

Some 30+ years ago I had a pal who kept/bred Burmese pythons ,they were housed in 12 foot vivs and one day he decided getting a Retic was a good plan.

He then proceeds to buy himself a W/C yearling /young adult (?) Retic , sex unknown.
Obviously back then the ones available were W/C , hence very little info on background / genetics etc. was available . no internet , no myriad of captive Retic breeders.

Fast forward a couple of years and he now has a snake that dwarfs (pun intended) his Burms and clearly the 12 foot viv is no longer viable and obviously a new plan is needed.

Being a guy with big ideas and the cash to back those ideas up ,he quickly realized NO viv was going to cut it and he needed an alternative plan.

Approx. a month later I went to visit him and said hows the Retic doing ? , Still in the viv ? , The questions prompted a big grin from ear to ear as his eyes lit up.
"Follow me AL!" was the reply as he led me through the house to the back door , opened it and gestured for me to step into the garden.
Gone was the small aviary , gone was the garden shed , not to mentioned several missing and/or broken fence panels.
Their replacement was a small twin birth caravan , (the type we've all seen converted into roadside food outlets), a little perplexed I'm now thinking WTF has this got to do with the Retic.

At that moment my pal starts to unlock the caravan and as soon I spotted bright light emitting from inside the penny dropped for me. The caravan was the Retics new enclosure , he had gutted the whole inside ,boarded it all off and basically created a giant empty box.

A small secondary entrance was created inside to form a barrier and the entrance into the actual snake living area was fitted with a ranch style bi- fold door. This worked great for feeding purposes allowing him to feed without having to enter the main area.
The whole thing was fitted out with branches etc. had a old bath for a water bowl and was heated using tube heaters (the type often used to heat portable buildings) and couple of heat spot lamps.

To say I was amazed is an understatement , I was blown away by the whole sight and his Retic sure looked in great health at approx 15 feet long.

100% True story and a nice reminder of how in certain cases , for some individuals these snakes can easily outgrow available housing options.
mrhoyo, wilkinss77, Malc and 3 others like this.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:23 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Baldpoodle Send a message via Skype™ to Baldpoodle

I have been looking into a plastic drip type tray to go on the viv floor that will hold any urine and crap. This with the paper substrate on top will be ideal when it comes to cleaning out.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Just caught up on yesterday's episode of "kings of pain" - boy that retic shredded them to pieces !!!

https://youtu.be/pLKGo5MZSOE

Think Iíve been put off of ever owning one... May eat my dogs and my daughter haha.

Nah if tamed theyíre lovely snakes, Brianís are amazing, Iíve always loved the cow reticulated pythons he has, and Iíve said when I ever move and have the room I shall have one!

The partner would rather have an anaconda lol. But I think thatís pushing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Premier Citizen

I kept retics up until a few years ago. 9 ft by 6ft walk in viv with heated shelves and a pond.
Malc, rita, GT2540 and 1 others like this.

Tags
reti advice , tap training snake's , viv size