Retic enclosure size - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 09-04-2020, 10:40 AM
Egg
Cool Retic enclosure size

Hi, this is my first adventure into the world of big snakes, I have had corn snakes and currently own 2 royal pythons so have some experience with snakes... Just not the bigguns lol...

So I have just put a deposit down on a hatchling male tiger x sunrise retic which will be ready to take home in a few weeks once it is feeding...

My questions to those in the know are as follows...

1. Can I save myself having to buy multiple vivs and just put him in a 6-8ft viv straight from the off (if I put in lots of hides ect)?

2. What is the ideal heat/humidity ect for these guys?

3.what is the prefered substrate?

4. Tap training... Any advice on tap training to avoid fees response when cleaning and getting him out to stretch his legs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Regular

I've not kept retics before so can't answer the more detailed questions...but in terms of your question regarding the vivarium size; you could try just putting the snake into the adult sized enclosure and see how it gets on, but another alternative would be to keep the snake in a plastic tub inside the vivarium to start with. Something like a 50L or an 84L Really useful Box would be suitable for a hatchling retic I would think. just make sure you place the tub suitably inside the viv so that there is still a temperature gradient in the tub.

This is how I've started out with quite a lot of the hatchlings that I've either bought or produced myself over the years.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Hatchling

Thankfully retics are some of the most confident contrictors out there, and dont suffer the same stressors as their more well behaved bretheren

That being said, the full adult tank may end up being a bit much, no matter how well you terrascape it. If this is a home built tank, a good idea is to construct the full thing off the hop (hey, things get expensive when building. Do it once, do it right) and place a divider in it at whatever interval is appropriate. Bonus points if it can move gradually down the length of your enclosure as your serpent grows. Care will be needed and adjustments to your heat system as well, since you will be heating a bigger and bigger tank as time goes on.

That is my personal philosophy on this, the tub works as well, or even a small/medium glass terrarium for the hatchling for starts before your big home is built

The tub idea also holds merit. This is a "problem" that has several viable ways to adress it. What it boils down to is making sure the snake thrives no matter what you opt for, and whatever is in your means financially and contruction skill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamcara View Post
1. Can I save myself having to buy multiple vivs and just put him in a 6-8ft viv straight from the off (if I put in lots of hides ect)?
Personally I think you are kidding yourself if you think an adult retic would be fine in a 6' viv. There used to be a "retic" thread on here, where some owners had "young" (3-6 years old) retics that were well past 16' and were kept in converted spare rooms.

I personally wonder why people make the jump from Kings / Corns and Royals to retics which are on a totally different level. From my limited experience with them, they are fast (if they want to move its a workout to handle them). They are very intelligent as far a snakes go and very very food driven. If you have not experienced handling a large powerful constrictor before then I would recommend you arrange a visit with the breeder once this lockdown is over and see how well you cope.
sharpstrain and JBBelgium like this.

Malc

Old 09-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Super Regular

I have to agree with Malc, do yourself a favour and check out youtube, put in snakes n adders reticulated pythons. take a look at the video and be honest with yourself.
Malc likes this.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita View Post
I have to agree with Malc, do yourself a favour and check out youtube, put in snakes n adders reticulated pythons. take a look at the video and be honest with yourself.

https://youtu.be/mU6YxeuAgZI

Quote:
Hi, this is my first adventure into the world of big snakes, I have had corn snakes and currently own 2 royal pythons so have some experience with snakes... Just not the bigguns lol...
The comments at 14:10....

Quote:
So I have just put a deposit down on a hatchling male tiger x sunrise retic which will be ready to take home in a few weeks once it is feeding...

My questions to those in the know are as follows...

2. What is the ideal heat/humidity ect for these guys?

3.what is the prefered substrate?

4. Tap training... Any advice on tap training to avoid fees response when cleaning and getting him out to stretch his legs?
This to me (and sorry to seem blunt) suggest that you are already showing the signs of an nieve keeper. You should have done your research well in advance of putting that deposit down. There are many books, youtube channels, and care sheets that cover the keeping of this species. Most keepers will echo all the points covered in the above video, and if the breeders are worth their salt would not sell such a potentially dangerous snake to a novice or inexperienced customer.

Some things like substrate choice are subjectable to individuals. Like all species you'll have those that keep their snakes in minimal enclosures on paper, and then those that use a bio-active substrate.

If you want an intermediate snake, look at getting a boa rather than a mainland retic. An 8' boa is still very impressive, they have individual personalities similar to a retic, and would give you the grounding to consider something larger later on.

Apologies for being so blunt, and I'm not being personal here, but often it's when people make this leap without the experience and can't manage a large snake it then reflects on the hobby when the snake is then dumped into a rescue centre, or worse, ends up being an item on local news.

Please rethink your options

Malc

Old 09-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Posting Deity

I can highly recommend super dwarf retics. All the beauty, personality and fun of a normal retic but in a much more manageable size. Mine was around 5ft, had a bit of an attitude in the viv but was tap trained and was calmed down fine after a few mins handling. He was slim bodied like a corn snake and was often lost when he curled up in his hide in a 4ft viv.

Honestly, one of the things that puts me off these huge snakes is the thought of the mess when they defecate/urinate!!! My royals can produce a good sized log and easily flood a corner of their viv. I imagine a retic would literally flood a 6ft viv when it pees

But, if you have your heart set on a true retic and can properly house and care for it then good luck and be sure to post some pics when you collect the little one, I miss seeing retic posts on here

Last edited by **louise**; 09-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: So. Many. Typos.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Premier Member

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...on-thread.html

700+ pages, 1000+ posts.... with some interesting insight from old members who sadly seem to have gone quiet these days

Remember Steve d's "Tiny" and "Rosie"

To the OP - are you sure you can deal with this ??

Malc

Old 09-04-2020, 11:26 PM
Posting Deity

As Lou said, the only retic that could live in an 8' viv would be a super dwarf. In fact I'd suggest that an SD is the only manageable retic for a beginner, end of. Retics can have bad attitudes & a big one can be a nasty & dangerous thing to mess with- I've seen the mess a 6 footer made of someone's hand, & it wasn't pretty- & that was long after the injuries had healed & scarred over!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:05 AM
Egg

Lol I've done a fair bit of research into retics I've been interested in the bigger snakes for quite a while now. I'm asking for opinions more than anything realy, there's alot of conflicting info out there on the Ol intranets...

Power feeding seems to be a big problem with retics, a correct feeding regime seems to keep the snakes size from exploding.

I've read a few methods of tap training and wonder which people would think most successful and kind I prefer the method of covering the head to disperses the feeding response... Seems kindest. Building trust and avoiding the 3 feed response ques should go along way to avoid getting a taste of the old fangalangs...

I spoke to the breeder (who is supposed to be quite well respected in the retic world as it goes) as Ive read so much contradicting info and he said six to eight foot should be fine (but impossible to accurately determine the final size of the adult snake... ). Either way I'm a fabricator so could make something cool looking about of stainless & poly-carb if he out grows the 6-8ft one I guess...

Substrate seems to be an interesting topic, so many viable choices lol!

I like the idea of a movable wall to adjust the size of the viv, will take a bit of messing about with the thermotat ect but we'll worth it! Plus would be good for safety if anyone elce has to feed him, could use as a seg panel then withdraw it once the food has been placed an viv closed up 🤔

Tags
reti advice , tap training snake's , viv size