Change in behaviour notice with my corn snake - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Egg
Question Change in behaviour notice with my corn snake

Hi - hope everyone is ok and doing your best to keep safe.
Your help and advice is needed - after having my snake for a while now, we have got over the settle in stage and things have been going pretty well, until the last few weeks. I have noticed a change in his behaviour - hes been digging (under his heat mat), hes become very active and very keen on trying his best to get out, resulting in marks on his nose and head (dry skin where hes at very early stage of shedding his skin), hes also been swimming/dipping his head in his water.
He has shown this before and I worked it out to being the temperature, but this time I have no ideas.

Any suggestions as to why and what do you suggest i do?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Premier Member

Without details of temperatures, how its housed, (is the heat mat not secure ?) it's impossible for any of us to voice opinions or suggestions.

Is the snake mature or a hatchling? Have you introduced anything recently, changed its substrate, or added anything else to his enclosure? - are there any black / brown dots floating in the water, or on him?

Snakes activity does change as they get older and at differing times of the year. It could simply be the snake is maturing and the warmer weather of late (in the UK) has triggered an urge to look for a mate ?

Malc

Old 11-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Premier Member

As above, we need a lot more information in order to help you.

Temperature, size of enclosure, humidity, substrate, how you are reading all of the above. The more information the better

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
0.0.1 cali king snake- Cali
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.1 Amazon Tree Boa - Igni & Onyx
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2020, 11:11 PM
Posting Deity

If he's also gone off his food, 5 will get you 10 that's he's in the 'mating rage', a male New World Colubrid snake's equivalent the the Vulcan 'Pon-Farr', lol! At this time of year, many male NW Colubrids go off their food & pace up & down, obsessed with looking for only 2 things- females to mate with & rival males to fight with!
Old 12-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
If he's also gone off his food, 5 will get you 10 that's he's in the 'mating rage', a male New World Colubrid snake's equivalent the the Vulcan 'Pon-Farr', lol! At this time of year, many male NW Colubrids go off their food & pace up & down, obsessed with looking for only 2 things- females to mate with & rival males to fight with!
Thanks for your relpy - when i first got him about a year ago now, i was obsessed by noting down his behaviour, ive just looked at my notes and he was behaving exactly the same this time last year - ive got a feeling hes looking for a mate like youve suggested. although hes not off his food as yet (hes known to be very greedy) lol

nothing has changed at all in his habitat so i know its nothing to do with that.

Thanks again and keep safe by following the rules
Old 12-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millington12 View Post
Thanks for your relpy - when i first got him about a year ago now, i was obsessed by noting down his behaviour, ive just looked at my notes and he was behaving exactly the same this time last year - ive got a feeling hes looking for a mate like youve suggested. although hes not off his food as yet (hes known to be very greedy) lol

nothing has changed at all in his habitat so i know its nothing to do with that.
Just goes to show how important record keeping is, Eh Wilks

Malc

Old 15-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Egg

Hi hope everyones doing well
Another quick que for you! are there any do's and dont's whilst hes behaving like this?
hes usually quite quiet, the increase in activity is great - is there anything i should do?

Thanks
Old 15-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millington12 View Post
Hi hope everyones doing well
Another quick que for you! are there any do's and dont's whilst hes behaving like this?
hes usually quite quiet, the increase in activity is great - is there anything i should do?

Thanks
Don't disturb him, if he won't eat don't try to pester him to do so. Just leave him alone other than to spot clean the viv & change the water.

Tags
corn snake