Heating Issues - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 30-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Egg
Default Heating Issues

Hello!

I'm a 17 year old first time ball python owner and I've had my snake for a little over a year and the whole time I've had consistent heating problems. I have a UTH with a MICROClimate on/off thermostat (brand new) and a digital thermometer that came with her first vivarium, I also have a dial thermometer and hygrometer in the centre of her viv. Her viv is a Monksfield and so has a glass top and viewing side as well as four vents. I'm an extensive worrier (fear of burning her or giving her other kinds of heat damage) and because of this both my thermostat and thermometer probes lie directly on top of the glass above my UTH.

All throughout my time with her I've never been able to keep temperatures stable, for example my thermostat is set to around 30 degrees but my thermometer is reading between 32.5 and 34 degrees as the thermostat turns on and off. My ambient temp fluctuates a lot sometimes also, but my main issue is raising ambient temp while not raising the UTH temp dangerously high. I know I must be doing something incorrectly but I'm not exactly sure what or how to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Premier Member

the variation ur seeing is normal for an on/off, tickle it down a bit till ur in the region of 31-32.5 variation. as for the face setting of "30oc" consider that a guide, trust in a independent thermometer as ur doing. ur probe placement is fine AS LONG AS they are secure and can't be moved.

as for ambient, the smaller the room the easier to control, the thermostat will mostly compensate the higher the room temp, but u can refine it by adjusting it, theres no rule against that. good room heaters are ones with thermostats, their not incredibly accurate but they don't need to be. oil filled radiators are quite good. u can go up to 80/82of but dont go below 75 if possible and strive for 70of+ at all times, royals are not captively cold hardy.

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechbowl View Post
Hello!

I'm a 17 year old first time ball python owner and I've had my snake for a little over a year and the whole time I've had consistent heating problems. I have a UTH with a MICROClimate on/off thermostat (brand new) and a digital thermometer that came with her first vivarium, I also have a dial thermometer and hygrometer in the centre of her viv. Her viv is a Monksfield and so has a glass top and viewing side as well as four vents. I'm an extensive worrier (fear of burning her or giving her other kinds of heat damage) and because of this both my thermostat and thermometer probes lie directly on top of the glass above my UTH.

All throughout my time with her I've never been able to keep temperatures stable, for example my thermostat is set to around 30 degrees but my thermometer is reading between 32.5 and 34 degrees as the thermostat turns on and off. My ambient temp fluctuates a lot sometimes also, but my main issue is raising ambient temp while not raising the UTH temp dangerously high. I know I must be doing something incorrectly but I'm not exactly sure what or how to fix it
leechbowl likes this.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Premier Member

Heat mats simply do not raise the ambient air temperature.
You will be far better off using a guarded ceramic heater on a pulse stat.
leechbowl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Premier Member

Don't rely on the dial settings of any thermostat. Use an IR temperature gun or thermometer with a probe to set the hot spot.

There are several sticky posts at the top of the snake section covering heating and general care for the Royal Python, worth a read
wilkinss77 and leechbowl like this.

Malc

Old 01-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Heat mats simply do not raise the ambient air temperature.
You will be far better off using a guarded ceramic heater on a pulse stat.
In a Monkfield viv ? - How would he do that ?

Malc

Old 01-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Premier Member

if the room is cooler than ideal then a heat mat on the lid (inside) would heat the air ( i know thats not their use but i and others have used them so).

re stat id be tempted to add it to mat stat as is, just to see what temp would result, ie probe is on a surface under snake etc etc, sometimes u just get lucky and u get something acceptable.

there is a dome/ceramic mod i could add but its annoying because of the opening.

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
the variation ur seeing is normal for an on/off, tickle it down a bit till ur in the region of 31-32.5 variation. as for the face setting of "30oc" consider that a guide, trust in a independent thermometer as ur doing. ur probe placement is fine AS LONG AS they are secure and can't be moved.

as for ambient, the smaller the room the easier to control, the thermostat will mostly compensate the higher the room temp, but u can refine it by adjusting it, theres no rule against that. good room heaters are ones with thermostats, their not incredibly accurate but they don't need to be. oil filled radiators are quite good. u can go up to 80/82of but dont go below 75 if possible and strive for 70of+ at all times, royals are not captively cold hardy.

rgds
ed
Thank you for this! I'll work on getting my probes secured (I imagine a good heat/waterproof tape will do?) and as I've been fiddling with my thermostat I think i've got it to a good 30-32 degrees range (according to my thermometer). Keeping my room a specific temp is a little difficult because of how it is (small with a lot of things in it so its either too hot or too cold most of the time) but I always have an eye on things and try and account for room temp and stuff. Feeling a little less worried about getting things wrong now! Thank you again!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Premier Member

At a year old the snake could probably do with moving up unto a 4' viv that will see the snake through for the rest of its life. This will give you the options of installing ceramic heaters / heat projectors on pulse or dimmer stats respectively which ill resolve the issue of fluctuating ambient temperatures.
leechbowl likes this.

Malc

Old 01-05-2020, 01:59 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
At a year old the snake could probably do with moving up unto a 4' viv that will see the snake through for the rest of its life. This will give you the options of installing ceramic heaters / heat projectors on pulse or dimmer stats respectively which ill resolve the issue of fluctuating ambient temperatures.
She was moved up to a 3ft viv at Christmas (I can only really get big hardware upgrades around the holidays because of gifts) but the next chance I get I'm planning on moving her up to a viv that's both wider and taller so she can do some climbing. I'm going to make sure to check out better heating options so I know what I'm doing when I can move her up again hopefully early on next year! Thank you for your input!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:03 PM

Don't use sticky tape - there are posts on here about what can happen when a snake gets stuck on the tape.

Use a hot glue gun and/or cable ties.
leechbowl likes this.

Tags
heating