African house snake - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 22-05-2020, 09:54 PM
Egg
Default African house snake

Snake hasn't rated for 2 weeks since arriving any idea why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2020, 07:49 AM
Premier Member

Do you mean eaten?
If so we need more information to help, in depth information about how you are keeping him please.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
0.0.1 cali king snake- Cali
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.1 Amazon Tree Boa - Igni & Onyx
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 23-05-2020, 08:09 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanna View Post
Do you mean eaten?
If so we need more information to help, in depth information about how you are keeping him please.

Sorry yes, eaten. Bad typing!
He arrived with us 15 days ago and the breeder told us he was fed the Friday before he arrived so we are actually talking three weeks without feeding. I'm new to snakes and aren't sure why. (I worked in PAH years back but didn't have one of my own). He's hot side is 31 degrees and cool side is 20 degrees and he has 2 hides and a large water bowl. He hasn't been handled yet and has a good day/night cycle, just cannot get him to eat. He just slithers as far away from me as possible and hides. Sometimes he licks the mouse but it's like he's scared of it! He's on fluffs, he's only small.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Regular

Sounds like you are offering to him with tongs? Maybe just leave it in the cage with him, preferably in the hide he is in (try not to disturb him too much). Leave it overnight and hopefully he'll pick it up when he feels comfortable. If he is still a baby they can be quite nervous to start with. Honestly house snakes are usually pretty greedy so once he settles in he'll probably be no problem in the future.
Roseanna likes this.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Premier Member

As above, try drop feeding and leaving it in overnight. Avoid any disruption in the room his enclosure is in whilst it's left overnight, perhaps even cover the enclosure with a blanket so he feels more secure.

What size enclosure is he in and what is it made from?

0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune

Other pets
Old 23-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Egg

[QUOTE=danl;13356535]Sounds like you are offering to him with tongs? Maybe just leave it in the cage with him, preferably in the hide he is in (try not to disturb him too much). Leave it overnight and hopefully he'll pick it up when he feels comfortable. If he is still a baby they can be quite nervous to start with. Honestly house snakes are usually pretty greedy so once he settles in he'll probably be no problem in the future.[/QUOTE
Thanks for this. I thought you should t leave it in, and that they'll only take it if it's moving? And yes, we use tongs
Old 23-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Rooby11;13356559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
Sounds like you are offering to him with tongs? Maybe just leave it in the cage with him, preferably in the hide he is in (try not to disturb him too much). Leave it overnight and hopefully he'll pick it up when he feels comfortable. If he is still a baby they can be quite nervous to start with. Honestly house snakes are usually pretty greedy so once he settles in he'll probably be no problem in the future.[/QUOTE
Thanks for this. I thought you should t leave it in, and that they'll only take it if it's moving? And yes, we use tongs
Some snakes are extremely shy and will only eat food when they are left alone with it, movement can even put some snakes off. Might be worth trying the hairdryer trick too, after the mouse has defrosted gently warm it up with a hair dryer (not hot, just warm) - I find this technique makes it nice and smelly for them.

0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune

Other pets
Old 23-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Egg

Quote:
As above, try drop feeding and leaving it in overnight. Avoid any disruption in the room his enclosure is in whilst it's left overnight, perhaps even cover the enclosure with a blanket so he feels more secure.
What size enclosure is he in and what is it made from?
rom?I'll definitely try this tonight when we go to bed.
It's a terranium made of plastic, the smallest I could find
Old 23-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Egg

[QUOTE=Roseanna;13356561]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooby11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
Sounds like you are offering to him with tongs? Maybe just leave it in the cage with him, preferably in the hide he is in (try not to disturb him too much). Leave it overnight and hopefully he'll pick it up when he feels comfortable. If he is still a baby they can be quite nervous to start with. Honestly house snakes are usually pretty greedy so once he settles in he'll probably be no problem in the future.[/QUOTE
Some snakes are extremely shy and will only eat food when they are left alone with it, movement can even put some snakes off. Might be worth trying the hairdryer trick too, after the mouse has defrosted gently warm it up with a hair dryer (not hot, just warm) - I find this technique makes it nice and smelly for them.

Thank you so much this is helpful. I so hope it works im getting worried now. Never seen a snake so nervous. The snakes we had at PAH were never this shy ever
Old 23-05-2020, 12:21 PM
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Rooby11;13356567]
Quote:
Thank you so much this is helpful. I so hope it works im getting worried now. Never seen a snake so nervous. The snakes we had at PAH were never this shy ever
Try not to worry, snakes can go a fairly long time without food. Every snake is an individual, some will be terrified and some will be perfectly fine.

0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune

Other pets