Tubs vs vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Egg
Default Tubs vs vivarium

Hello which is better a tub or vivarium my snakes are in vivarium and rubs but I want to move my snake in the same type of enclosure and if I am going to go down the rack root what are the best rubs for adults ball pythons thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Ultra Citizen

Both are good. If you have the space for vivs Id say vivs, if I had the space Im sure wed have lots of them!
But we have quite a few Royals and all ours are in a euro rack, that holds rubs. Plus with some of ours being fuzzy and not liking space its ideal.
Different size rubs can be used and you can extended the rack also which is brilliant. So you can put larger and smaller rub sizes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techotta View Post
Hello which is better a tub or vivarium my snakes are in vivarium and rubs but I want to move my snake in the same type of enclosure and if I am going to go down the rack root what are the best rubs for adults ball pythons thanks
Use the "search this forum" option top right - This subject has been debated and discussed to the nth degree.... it will save people repeating their viewpoints
ian14 and Thrasops like this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-2020, 12:41 AM
Super Regular

When I look at RUB's, Tub's and racks the first major thing that pops out are the severe lack of vertical space, lack of ability to use overhead heating and lighting.
Old 17-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6

When used in the context of keeping animals inside, a tub is a vivarium... which is any container being used to keep living things.

A vivarium can be made out of lots of different materials - plastic, glass, fibreglass, wood, mesh, and so on... and there can be really well set out tubs and really awfully set out wooden vivaria... but if in this context you mean the average 'wooden, glass or fibreglass cage with front-opening doors' then for me, a tub just will never offer as many options as a front-opening wooden viv, both in terms of the size and shape, or the types of equipment you can use in it.

Great racking systems can and do exist. Check out some of Hilary Haring's setups below, all heated from above (through mesh) and provided with UV.

The problem is most people just don't provide the things they could be in their racks. They just use a heat mat or heat cable. This may be functional but not best.

Both can be 'functional' and do the job intended but since you specifically ask 'which is better' - 'vivs' (in the context implied here) are better. You have more choice of material, more choice of dimensions, more opportunity to add height, greater control of manipulating the environment with a wider choice of equipment including overhead heating and greater ease providing light. And if one feels that tubs are in some way required, you can always melt or cut a hole in one side of one and use it as a hide in the viv (which is what I do to provide humid hides).
ian14, Malc and Tortoise Man like this.
Old 17-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Premier Citizen

My personal opinion (and that is all it is) is that if you need to stack numbers of opaque boxes on top of one another that you can't really see into unless you take the lid off, then you have moved out of the realm of hobbyist/enthusiast and moved over to the realm of breeder or hoarder

I keep house deeds and tax records in plastic boxes, not my animals

http://www.arc-ecology.co.uk
Old 17-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955i View Post
My personal opinion (and that is all it is) is that if you need to stack numbers of opaque boxes on top of one another that you can't really see into unless you take the lid off, then you have moved out of the realm of hobbyist/enthusiast and moved over to the realm of breeder or hoarder

I keep house deeds and tax records in plastic boxes, not my animals

My snakes are so beautiful and interesting to observe I just couldnt imagine any of them in an opaque plastic container..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thrasops likes this.
Old 17-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Super Citizen

time for popcorn
Malc, Roseanna and elishacoombes9 like this.
Old 17-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2540 View Post
time for popcorn

Ahhhh Toffee popcorn . .. craving is kicking in now !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Premier Member

Why would I want to hide her in an opaque plastic box
Attached Thumbnails
Tubs vs vivarium-lucy.jpg  

Zincubus likes this.

Malc

Tags
help & advice