Kenyan sand boa head neck area gone a bit wrinkly - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 21-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Super Regular
Default Kenyan sand boa head neck area gone a bit wrinkly

So as the title suggests I recently noticed my sand boa's head/neck area is gone a bit wrinkly, this is the first time I noticed this.

She went into shed almost two weeks ago now, I didn't notice this when she was in blue, this happend a bit after that phase, ive only noticed these wrinkles the last few days.

Im not certain if she has shed yet or not but I don't think she has, again im not certain.

Temps are still the same, 35 on the hot side 26 on the cool side, no other signs of anything, shes never missed a meal for me or anything else, I feed on Sundays so she missed last week because she was in shed, water dish is always full although I've yet to see her drink, I was worried it could be dehydration.

Heres a picture for more clarification:

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2020, 03:45 AM
Premier Member

Looks like a missed shed.
Get a secure tub, fill it with damp, warm moss or tea towel and pop the snake in for half hour. That should moisten the skin and enable it to shed.
Old 22-11-2020, 10:22 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Looks like a missed shed.
Get a secure tub, fill it with damp, warm moss or tea towel and pop the snake in for half hour. That should moisten the skin and enable it to shed.
I never new a sake can miss a shed... obviously i know they can have a bad shed but never heard of one missing one completely.

Would it be worth giving a full soak for 30 mins, or just a damp tea towel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
I never new a sake can miss a shed... obviously i know they can have a bad shed but never heard of one missing one completely.

Would it be worth giving a full soak for 30 mins, or just a damp tea towel?
The damp towel should be enough.
Old 22-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Super Regular

Bit of an ordeal tonight...

I did the damp towel in a container thing and that started the shed process but it wasn't enough, I had to soak her fully after that to get the rest off and had some troublesome spots under her chin that were difficult but we got there in the end, think I got it all under the chin anyway.

This is the second time this happened, she shed perfectly last time but the time before that we had issues as well, going to try a humid hide for the next time hopefully that will help her.

Tags
boa , kenyan sand boa , reptile , sand boa , snake