Payment Plans Good Idea/bad Idea Views - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to swaine
Default Payment Plans Good Idea/bad Idea Views

Seen this alot lately on classifieds subject arrising do you offer payment plans, just wondering individuals thoughts on the subject from both perpectives, breeder and buyers,
i always counted myself lucky enough to be able to aquire any snakes ive wanted, within reason, and have never bought anything i couldnt afford.
not everyone has dissposible income,so would say payment plans are good for certain individuals, specially if they wanted to get into higher priced morphs, doesnt mean the snake would be any less cared for than by someone who had the funds to buy it straight off, i would hope,
but sellers wouldnt want £20 a week for a year for a snake that cost £1k (i wouldnt anway) ,and i think asking for payment plans on a £100 snake is a little cheeky,
there is/would be probs people going into dept,people having a snake then selling it on for immediate money etc,what would you say is a resonable time scale per cost,
i personally wouldnt offer payment plan, but have and will hold snakes for people for months till they have cash ready, coz im a nice person,
but if bobs gonna offer me a lucistic retic for £20 a week till im 90years old i might take him up on the offer,
your opinions and thoughts please,
stew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

i would say that payment plans arent the best of ideas for any party involved . unless you are personal friends with them and the parties involved have full trust with one another .

money can put stress on the closest of friendships and can start all sort of arguments ..

the only way id see it working is if you broke the cost into two or three and paid monthly . anything else would be too much hassle for a breeder to get involved with .

the buyer would be better putting it into a high interest account until it was saved up or give it to a relative (mother or OH )
Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

i would do it for someone i knew or would let someone pay up over a few months then they could have the animal but i wouldn't hand the animal over before i got the money cos thats just leaving you open to get ripped off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Siman

I don't think payment plans are great unless from a shop to be honest.

I mean especially if you do payment plans from the internet without ever meeting the people!

I would love to have a payment plan for a killer bee axanthic but in all fairness i would want the snake upon first payment (As you do with stores, you put the deposit you get the item) but no breeder or person on here would EVER do it that way (and rightly so i mean, they don't have much come back if the other person simply stops giving them money right?)
WinnieeMvP likes this.

yay for super fast broadband
Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

If i was selling and someone wanted a payment plan they would do it like this:

Buyer pays X for Y weeks then pays the final payment the day they collect the snake, so i have all of my money then they get the snake, I'd make sure that they understood this would be non-refundable, that way the only person loosing out because of no sale is the buyer
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJcool View Post
If i was selling and someone wanted a payment plan they would do it like this:

Buyer pays X for Y weeks then pays the final payment the day they collect the snake, so i have all of my money then they get the snake, I'd make sure that they understood this would be non-refundable, that way the only person loosing out because of no sale is the buyer
that sounds so much better than i put it but thats what i was getting at
Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to rachel132002

Depends who it is really, some people e.g. Scott W from Captive Bred i'd have no problem doing a payment plan with as i've bought enough from him to know he wouldn't run off with my money, so it all comes down to trust really as i have a friend who's sold up his royal collection and as a result i have 3 adult females and a male pastel which i haven't paid for yet but he knows he'll get his money as soon as i get it myself. I wouldn't just setup a payment plan with anyone unless it was say 25% non-refundable then rest is paid upon collection/delivery but again i'd still be cautious.

Rach

http://www.facebook.com/RH.reptilemorphs

All enquiries please contact [email protected]
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Grantski

I think any kind of "credit" is a bad idea, if you cant afford it, dont have it is my moto... each to thier own tho

Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Citizen

All depends on how the plan works, I have been doing payment plans for 2 years now and overall they work great for the buyer, not quite so good for the seller, heres why.

With my plan I require a 25% deposit, followed by 3 monthly 25% payments, so you get a 4 month term. In those 4 months the snakes remain in my care and you are given the choice between being fed on my feeding schedule or one of your choice. Also during the whole 4 months the snakes are guaranteed by me, so if one drops dead or has a problem then it's down to me.

The plus side for the buyer is they get the snake they want, looked after with a guarantee and it's grown on like it would be if they had paid cash there and then. So all they have lost is 4 months of watching them grow (but not lost the growth itself).

Now why it's not good for the seller (ie me) is because I have to look after, feed, house, heat and obviously guarantee it, all for no extra money. I recently had 6 snakes go out and because one had stopped feeding I traded it up for a breeding size snake of the same morph Free!

The only downside for the buyer is that due to fluctuations in prices of some morphs, occasionally the snake they have bought may be a little cheaper had they of waited the 4 months then bought (although this is rare).

I offer the Payment Plan as I know how hard it is to find the money for certain morphs so it opens up my excess animals to more people plus it allows me to really get the snakes going and well grown on.

BTW, thanks Rachel, just read your post.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantski View Post
I think any kind of "credit" is a bad idea, if you cant afford it, dont have it is my moto... each to thier own tho

its not exactly credit as such .

more like a saving up scheme .. it would also act as a deposit for a snake that you want that might get sold before you had the funds .