Reptile Forums banner

Ribbon or Garter snakes?

363 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LauraMartin 
#1 ·
hi, i have been recommended a ribbon snake that would be confortable in my 45x45x45cm viv, but eerycare sheet i google, seems to be garter & ribbon snakes in one care sheet, so are they the same thing? i thought garter snakes were a lot bigger than ribbons, can someone tell me? also is it correct that one would be good in my viv with a large water dish and lots of hides and climbing bits?

#2 ·
Garter snakes and ribbon snakes are not the same thing, but they are closely related and similar in many ways.

The vivarium sounds acceptable for all but the largest garter/ribbon. A big water dish is around 10-15 cm across by 5 cm deep. Personally, I'd recommend a garter because they are generally less nervous and less aquatic than ribbon snakes. Both can move fast when they want to.

I've kept both plains garter and redsided garter snakes. I like them, but some people do not. One reason for that is that a frightened garter or ribbon snake will musk, which has a somewhat disagreeable odor.

#5 ·
Your viv is a 20 gallon tank - I've got one and did the math,

According to a book I have you can house quite a few types in a 20 gallon including corns and kings ( this includes their adult size )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.