Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   corn snake won`t feed (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/1519-corn-snake-won-t-feed.html)

hellyskelly 02-10-2005 07:10 PM

corn snake won`t feed

we have a 13 month old ,female , snow corn that has not fed properly since 21/08/05 when it took its usual 2 small fluffs, then on the 04/09/05 it took 1 fluff with some trouble then on the 21/09/05 she shed in lots of little pieces and she has not fed since although she has taken water every time she has been offered when in hand when put back in vivif anybody could give advice i would be greatfull if no improvement then its a trip to the vet
Helen :(

chocolatecolubrid 02-10-2005 07:38 PM

What are the temperatures in the tank like? Has anything changed in the tank, or round the viv that might be stressing her out?

hellyskelly 02-10-2005 07:48 PM

the temps in viv are cool end 75 warm end 83/84
the only thing that has changed is I had the snakes sexed by probe at shop they come from and found had 2 girls .1 boy so put boy in own viv
the snow is still in viv with amel and they are lay together as they always do no change around viv

chocolatecolubrid 02-10-2005 08:06 PM

Your temperatures seem a little on the low side - I'd aim to get the cool end to about 80 and the warm end into the high 80s to 90s. The probing could have stressed her out, and she's maybe gone off the food cos of the that. Can't think of anything else.

hellyskelly 02-10-2005 08:09 PM

will warm up viv and try again to feed her, can you give me any advice on bad shed have researched but would value advice from someone who may have been there if you know what I mean

Andy 02-10-2005 08:14 PM

You could try raising the humidity but you prob tried that or I have read people putting their snake in with some warm wet towels in a box or something and letting the snake have a good wriggle around and the weight of the towels will help the shed.

chocolatecolubrid 02-10-2005 08:17 PM

I've found bad sheds are usually cos the tank's too dry. I spray the tank like mad a few days before they shed and they're usually fine. The odd time one doesn't shed right and I find that a warm bath softens the skin and a rub with a towel takes it off. If your corn had a bad shed, make sure the eye caps came off ok (the skin that covers the eyes) otherwise problems can occur. Is there still shed skin on the corn?

cornmorphs 02-10-2005 08:41 PM

she may be gravid, watch out for weight gain.
put a bowl of water in the warmer end so it gets a little warmer for the snake to shed in.
i usually put mine into a pillow case over night left in its tank.
soak the pillow case and then ring it as dry as you can, put the snake in it and remove in morning, all of skin should have come off

hellyskelly 03-10-2005 08:00 PM

thanks for all the help after a 20 min warm bath where snow lost a few
small pieces of shed snow ate 3 pinkies

thanks again for advice :lol: :lol:

cornmorphs 03-10-2005 09:41 PM

did i read that wrong? the females have not been near the male?