Reptile Forums banner

Selling to Kids

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  aceboidz 
#1 ·
Was in a rep shop today (wasnt my local or usual one) picking up some frozen food for Charlie and there was a lad in there no older than 14 buying a WC06 Royal, didnt have a tank for it was going to sort that out....didnt buy any food or heat mats, nothing...just the snake..........Dont you have to be over 16 to buy reps? I asked the guy but he just shrugged and wandered off......

#4 ·
ye. i wud say report the shop. for all they knew he was jst gona take it home n chuck it in a tub with no heatin and mite not know anything about snakes at all.

#5 ·
The guy there told the lad that the snake is feisty and may strike, the lads responce? "COOL!"

I immediatley said "whats your doings not right, a bite from a 2 year old Royal would hurt like mad and he clearly isnt old enough?"

He shrugged and walked off, so I put the rats I had collected on the counter and walked out, Im not lining the pockets of people who dont care for the very basics.

#9 ·
Hmm, that's not good! I was hoping you meant liveffod or something!
(We have kids as young as 8 come in for thier food regularly, we get to know them well).
It's against the law to sell livestock to anyone under the age of 16, UNLESS they are well known to the seller and parents permission has been given.
I have never yet sold to an under 16, as their parents are always with them - I've only had the situation come up once and he was more than happy to go and drag Dad out of the car.
It's a very irresponsible move by the shop, a very bad one for the hobby.

#10 ·
Totaly agree mate, had it a few times. The regulars know how it works and i have spoke with mum or dad on phone first and allowed the kid to collect it but only cos tey are very well known customers.

This has also been discussed with our environmental health officer who is happy with this, had she not liked it, it would never happen.

This guy just makes it worse for us that do it properly :bash:

Rob

#21 ·
They'll do nothing except use it for more reasons why no one should be allowed exotic pets...
Go to the council - they're the ones who allow shops to run and sell animals and are the ones who can take it away again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.