Hypoaspis mites and - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Grinning Gecko
Default Hypoaspis mites and

We have a garter snake that since purchasing and despite several treatments has never been completly clear of mites. We are seeing the vet to get frontline prescribed. However, as its just a few mites I am very interested in using the hypoaspis mites prior to the frontline preffering natural treatment to the use of toxic medications. As the garter snake prefers a dry substrate and the hypoaspis requires damp, would the garter be ok on sprayed slightly damp substrate for a few days ? Can someone suggest other methods to keep the hypoaspis alive long enough to do the job in a dryish viv ? Shes currently on jungle bed. She isnt heavily infested, substrate is microwaved and furnishings have been treated several times. Obviously we have missed some of the mites with previous treatments.

I have a thread running about a different snake with a different probem. This garter snake is in a different room to the other reptiles and was obtained from a different source. Others have been thoroughly checked and are mite free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM

it should be absolutely fine. They don't need it wet, as you say just slightly damp. We've used them successfully before in a *VERY* hot viv with only occasional, slight spraying.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Grinning Gecko

Thanks Mason,
I have just placed the order for some hypoaspys so will see how they work. Will keep the front line on hold till these have had a chance. I may use the non chemical one we bought in the rep shop until they arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Thanks Mason,
I have just placed the order for some hypoaspys so will see how they work. Will keep the front line on hold till these have had a chance. I may use the non chemical one we bought in the rep shop until they arrive.
If you use anything designed to kill mites before using the Hypoaspis mites, you will just be adding poisons that will kill the Hypoaspis when you add them.
Make the Hypoaspis your first method of defence to get the best out of them.

Natrix
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Hi Mal you need to get the substrate out asap as the mites will be in that too..Its best to house the snakes on news paper..The daily mail is best as the print doesnt come off like some papers, you know when your fingers are black !!Be much easier to be rid of the mites, and you can see whats going on better...Ive used the Hypoaspis mites and they worked well.
They arrived in a small tub filled with similar to pete.. Just pour them into the viv, and let them do their thing, they eat eggs too.
At first the snake may get a bit pissed off these hypos crawling all over the snake, but once realises they not biting her/ him, should settle..

good luck
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Premier Member

I have read several accounts of hydroaspis mites doing nothing. Go with frontline, works all the time.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Ultra Citizen

From what i have read up on in the past couple of hours the Hypoaspis Mite works really well and has worked for many people. Have a look at this site it explains exactly what they are, do, how to look after them in the viv and there life line.

Fungus Gnat, Thrips, Snake Mite Predator (Hypoaspis sp.)

Hope this helps !