How often do you feed your corn snake? - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
Just glanced over this thread and I'm wondering if I'm one of the only ones that only feed once a week or once a fortnight?

I've two yearlings and several hatchlings, ALL get fed at least once a fortnight, though usually every 8-10 days.

My two 1 year olds are both on hoppers/small mice, what ever you would like to call them. Creamsicle is a little under 3ft and my Common is a little OVER 3 and a half foot - that is even with a one food item feeding every 7-14 days.

You guys must have huge corns? That isn't a dig, I'm genuinely interested lol
my corn is a late 07 creamsicle and its not far off 3 foot long now and starting to fill out nicely, its pretty much allways hungray and i know it would probably be ok to leave it longer than i do till i feed it but as its still growing i dont think its gonna have a weight problem once its on adult food size i will give it longer a week to ten days between feeds, im not trying to power feed it up but at the same time not trying to underfeed and keep small, i normally feed wait till it poo's then give it 2 days then feed again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
my corn is a late 07 creamsicle and its not far off 3 foot long now and starting to fill out nicely, its pretty much allways hungray and i know it would probably be ok to leave it longer than i do till i feed it but as its still growing i dont think its gonna have a weight problem once its on adult food size i will give it longer a week to ten days between feeds, im not trying to power feed it up but at the same time not trying to underfeed and keep small, i normally feed wait till it poo's then give it 2 days then feed again
3ft!!, my late 07 normal is probably just under 2ft. Perhaps mine needs feeding more?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by start-up View Post
Not sure to be honest mate i believe it came from an american website originally. All i know is that i did a quick copy and paste and saved it into a word document for future reference.

Glad some people found it of use. Might re-post it in the newbie section if people think it would be of use?

M
Its called 'The Munson Plan' written by Dean Arnold from cornsnakes.com

Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
Its called 'The Munson Plan' written by Dean Arnold from cornsnakes.com
Was just about to reply and that Dean aka Roy Munson on cornsnakes.com was the original writer, looks like i was beaten to it

M
Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

I tend to feed my adults a larger prey item less often, sometimes 7-10 days but sometimes 14 days, it really depends on my schedule. I've never felt that snakes benefit from an exact feeding schedule. Likewise the prey item I feed them depends on when I last fed and what diet the snake is on, I base on weight (sex and situation), never on length. Females get more than males, especially during breeding season before and after laying eggs. One of my males goes 8 weeks of the year during breeding season every single year without touching any food although I still offer it every 2 weeks - he's never lost any weight because of it.

I think regular weigh-ins and knowing your snakes helps a lot for you to make up your own feeding regime. The same adult male specified above is a 5.5 foot ghost corn weighing 700g. He only has a medium to large mouse every week, and he maintains a regular weight, doesn't lose any, doesn't put any on, is active and healthy. Most of my females (breeding) who weigh around the 400-500g mark at 4-5 foot have a large rat weaner that is almost 3x the weight of a large mouse, and this is what keeps their weight steady across the year, obviously after egg laying they do drop a fair bit but tend to put the weight back on within 6 weeks and then remain steady.

I also keep an eye on the digestion, I find that my regime they digest within 24-36 hours. I know some people have told me their corn snake hasn't digested 3 days later, in which case I would consider either smaller meals or rechecking temperatures. Digestion should be nice and regular and predictable. If a snake has a problem digesting a certain size it may not be the best size for them, we all have slightly differnet digestive systems.

All of my adults get between a large mouse and a large rat weaner every 7-14 days (most often averaging 10 days)

Sorry this is a long post to basically say that only you can know what is best for your snake as an adult, it's important to monitor weight, activity levels, digestion, assess if the snake is going to need fat reserves (to support eggs for example) and find a size prey that keeps them steady, happy & healthy.

With growing snakes it is slightly different, as you don't want weight to remain steady, but to increase, but I still think diet should be tailored individually, although the chart looks useful for a rough guide

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by start-up View Post
Was just about to reply and that Dean aka Roy Munson on cornsnakes.com was the original writer, looks like i was beaten to it

M
Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
3ft!!, my late 07 normal is probably just under 2ft. Perhaps mine needs feeding more?
i just got it out to see how long it really is and its actually only just over 2 foot 3 foot was wishfull thinking on my part i think but it look's deceptivly longer when slivering around its viv
Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Postaholic Member

i feed my corn on a sat or sun, but some weeks i dont feed to let everything go back to normal.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Posting Deity

Only have the one corn, a 7 year old adult. He gets fed every 10-14 days but gets the occasional snack if one of the youngsters doesn't eat.