How often do you feed your corn snake? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1
Default How often do you feed your corn snake?

Just been reading a post about how often people feed their boas and found it fascinating! People have a lot of reasons for their regimes and was wondering if people fed their cornsnakes in such a variety of different ways?

I feed my adults every week and my younger snakes slightly more frequently.

Also, how big a meal do you feed your corn? Personally I like to feed one or two smaller items less frequently rather than one large item on an infrequent basis.

Answers on a postcard please!
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Regular

We feed ours about once a week at the mo, But if they start hunting we may feed a bit earlier, Our larger 07 corn gets 3 fluffs and our other small 07 gets 2 fluffs but soon to be 3(pet shop rescue), both will soon be moving to larger food but we dont believe in trying to get them to big to quick!

Sean and Jackie
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Premier Member

I feed my two large 07's 2 fluffs every 4-5 days but will be moving them to small mice next week! Similar amounts so far!
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Regular

Nice to see we are getting it about right
Sean
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Forum Citizen

hey there asked this same queston myself to the person i bouht my first corn from and recived the below which i think is quite a handy little guide.

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
-Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Females are fed every 6-8 days; males are fed every 7-14 days.

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate. I'm very consistent in my feedings. Some people feed every Saturday, for example. If they get a refusal, the snake has to wait for the next Saturday to get another shot. I don't do this. If a snake refuses today, he'll get another shot in two days.

Hope this is of some interst to the rest of you out there. Dont think i'll be getting the scales out everytime before feeding but its an intersting guide non the less.

M
Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by start-up View Post
hey there asked this same queston myself to the person i bouht my first corn from and recived the below which i think is quite a handy little guide.

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
-Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Females are fed every 6-8 days; males are fed every 7-14 days.

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate. I'm very consistent in my feedings. Some people feed every Saturday, for example. If they get a refusal, the snake has to wait for the next Saturday to get another shot. I don't do this. If a snake refuses today, he'll get another shot in two days.

Hope this is of some interst to the rest of you out there. Dont think i'll be getting the scales out everytime before feeding but its an intersting guide non the less.

M

This is quite useful to me, my corn is 16g and taking a 2 pinks every 5 days. Was also wondering when to step up to fuzzies, bit they sem so large compared to pinks.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Regular

Stupid question: What's a hopper?

Ours are about 50something grams and are getting a single fuzzy of variable size every 4 days. Pretty sure they would eat more if we offered it but gonna hold off on increasing the portions for probably a month or so, then will switch it to two fuzzies, probably every 5-6 days.

Our new babies are a bit more of an unknown at the moment. Not sure how much they weigh but they are tiny little things. Only gave them one feeding so far of one pinky each. One of the pinkies was a bit big and some of it came back up. Going forwards, will probably start off with smallest pinkies we can find once a week, then change it to every 4-5 days as we become convinced they can handle them.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmec View Post
This is quite useful to me, my corn is 16g and taking a 2 pinks every 5 days. Was also wondering when to step up to fuzzies, bit they sem so large compared to pinks.
Big pinkies and small fuzzies ain't that different. Probably a bit subjective what gets called what. Once they can handle the biggest in the pinky category, I'd start looking at small fuzzies.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Premier Member

Very interesting table! A good rule of thumb guide I think, but I also won't be getting the scales out before every feed!

I wonder where it came from?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

my big male snow is on a diet at 4 foot and just over 600g let this be a lesson 2 u all...they dont need feeding everyweek! its not natural, and captive snakes dont burn off the necessry energy. therefore not as mch energy is neede to be put in!