Reptile Forums banner

Biggest Cheapest Boa

1K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  xclairex 
#1 ·
Hi just wondering im dying for a boa for my birthday and my cousin and mothers partner have agreed to help me hold if it it gets big so i want a big boa but reasonably cheap at the same time what should i get?

#5 ·
Female Common....................If you go to a show you might be lucky to pick one up for as little as £30/£40.

#9 ·
its not also getting reps for the cheapness people! what about quality of the animal?

you need to do a lot a research and really think about getting a boa if its ur first snake. i no a lot of people on here will say 'start with corns or a milk'. but i believe that if you thoroughly research the animal you will be fine. Talk to people on here and in the flesh to see wat its like to keep one, even go to ur nearest rep store and ask if you can hold a fully grown one. its very well saying get a baby and let it grow up with you, but they grow very fast!

good luck with ur decision xx

#10 ·
I agree with these guys, i got boa's for my first snakes and it wasn't because of i want a bigger snake etc it was because i liked the breed. Myself and my fiance spent endless days and nights reading up on boa's and we bought babies so as we can gain more knowledge as they grow and the guys and girls on RFUK have also helped me learn alot more and will be learning for a fair few years to go all though i never think you can stop learming. My best m8 Joe has also helped me in my learning curve.
Boa's are wonderfull snakes and i say read up, learn and if its what you want then go for it you'll love 'em.:2thumb:

#11 ·
I wouldnt start off going straight in for a big Boa although there can be advantages in teh sense that they are already established, feeding well and hardy.

I would start off with a baby if I was you if your hearts set on a Boa, but if not I'd go for a Royal. I got my first Royal about 2 months ago and love him to bits, you learn so much so quickly about them aswell they really are amazing animals.

2 months later Im looking to try and get a few more Royals, they become an obsession like you wouldnt believe :lol2:

#14 ·
If cost is an issue can I just point out that the price of the snake is a drop in the ocean compared to the housing, heating and maintainance cost. Smaller snakes cost a lot less to keep compared to bigger snakes due to smaller enclosures and being able to use heat mats which imo are unsuitable for larger snakes. A lot more research, not just into the snake but the housing of snakes is also required.

#15 ·
OK - lets try to help by working out the potential costs of owning a Boa for a year

OK

Enclosure - £75 if your lucky up to say £250 for a good big viv

Heating - I use 500watt ahs £85 - £100 or bulbs and dimmer - about the sameish

Lighting - I use a fluro - about £30

Substrate - say - £30 per year

Branches decor water bowl hides etc - cheap at £50

The snake itself £50 - £150

Food - £70 per year

Heating costs - gonna guess at £50 but dont know

Ok I would say that lot is pretty minimal

so I reckon an minimum of £400 - £600

That is if all is well and nothing breaks and the snake doesnt get ill - lets just throw in a simple Respiratory Infection - the Boa gets a cold. Now this is gonna depend on your vet - but couild easily be as much as £250.

So to keep an adult boa for a year could be around - £600 to £800 and could easily be much more

Please feel free to add or take away if you think I am wrong as this all just a quicke estimate. Maybe we could come up with a few species costings and put them up to let people know the poss costs.

I am not trying to put anyone off by the way - if you can look after a snake and can afford to care for it - go for it - they are fab

#16 ·
First off, I'm not trying to kick up a fuss here, but there is another way to look at those costs;

Enclosure - DIY job, £50-£75

Heating - Ceramic (£10-£20), Stat (£45), guard (£10)

Lighting - not needed as nocturnal

Substrate - Newspaper (the sun £0.50 ish)

Branches decor water bowl hides etc - £50 ish.

The snake itself - £30-£40 from breeder, £70ish from shops

Food - I breed a lot of my own now, so very little personally, however, bought in bulk, works out very cheap

I know it's still not cheap really, but that does show how costs can be cut down. However, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you need to save £5 here and there on the animal itself, look at the corners you'll be cutting on other costs. Can you REALLY afford a snake, and in turn, just because it's cheap, doesnt mean the associated costs will be.

A cheap snake isnt good
and
a good snake isnt cheap.

#18 ·
ye i would agree to hold your boa that you got if i were your cousin or mums partner but that would be grose to be your mumms partner and your a pusy if you cant hold that boa on your own lol its only small and bye the way i like your new dog i cant tell the diffrence

#19 · (Edited)
why is he a pussy if hes talking about a adult 8-12ft adult female common which its recomended to have a 2nd person there to help if needed ,and bit harsh saying about his mum isnt it.

oh and i like your new dog but cant tell whos your mum now the one on the lead or the one without the lead ? :censor:see not nice is it

btw mods wasnt initially aimed at him just a demo of so he got the idea

and why you bringing his dog into the matter on a thread about a snake ?,everyone else is being nice so why aint you ?

and also to the op ,dont go for a snake coz its big and cheap go for it because you love the species the colours the snake itself and not its size ,a boa is a big commitment ,research well before you get one and i recomend you get one of gaz on here his boas are a decent price and high quality animals:)

#23 ·
sorry mate.. but just becos u want something, dont mean u shud get it...

ur obviously fairly young.. 3 or 4 yrs down the line, your mum n her partner cud split up (not wishing that or anything.. but these r strange times we live in) and ur cousin join the army.. who will help u then ???

I'd love to have a Albino Burm.. but i know my limitations, so i wont go there.. i prefer to admire from afar, and not run the risk..

you may think that u have help.. but seen too many threads of accidents that cud be avoided..

not digging at u.. just being practical.. im a mother.. its my job..

#24 ·
As people have said you need to do a lot of research first and understand how big they get and the size viv you will need etc. We have a BCI ourselves she is only a baby but is growing very very fast, if you really research and want to get a boa i would recommend getting a baby and grow up with it, they are so lovely and getting something smaller that will gradually get bigger will help you out with getting used to handling. Our BCI was our first proper snake the corn didnt stay long enough and i never went near it i personally dont like corn snakes. If you are looking into any kind of boa you could get a BRB they dont get a big as a common boa but could be better for handling? And they are have lovely colours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.