similar to: - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Default similar to:

Hi,

i know i have touched on this breifly in my other post but what snakes are similar to: hog noses and false water cobra. i am looking for ideally mildly venomous as i am after some experience but also looks (i like hoods) but not the hog noses nose anyway any ideas are welcome including any kind of snake that you think is nice

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM

unfortunately anything mildly venomous can still kill you, a FWC can still kill you but has a poor delivery system, mangrove snakes are the others i believe, still dangerous but again poor delivery system
Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM

i know i have done a lot of research in to false water cobras, however i am a responsible owner and i will of course take the appropriate safety measures with the snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Star Member

The experience you need isn't with something rear fanged, you need to find a venemous mentor, where are you?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Bath, i am not looking for anything dwa or something like that! (yet :P) i am building up my confidence with snakes as a whole so that hopefully one day i can perhaps apply for dwa or more what i want is helping my chances of applying for a zoo keeper or animal related job maybe not with reptiles but it will show my understanding of dangerous animals
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Regular

What snakes do you own already? You could try buying some agressive non venemous snakes first then move up to rear fanged.
How about a radiated rat snake? They kind of hood out, but not like a cobra.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Believe me, the best way to become a zoo keeper is to apply to a zoo - even just as an unpaid volunteer. Places as keepers are highly contested, and you're much more likely to get a job as one if you're a volunteer first - they generally pick new keepers out of the volunteers, rather than hiring new ones out of the blue. Expereince outside the zoo is good, yes, but nothing beats volunteering.

And be warned - the pay is bad, the holiday is worse. I did a few weeks' work experience at Bristol Zoo, and was warned many times that it's far from an idea career.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM

yes i know i want to see if i can do it part time somehow :s its mainly so i can just educate my self
Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Regular

Its very unlikely.
The only way you can get work experience there is if youre doing a biological college/university course, and you apply about a year in advance.
That would help them get to know you, then you would have to voulenteer for a long time, and probably not get a job working with the type of animals you want. For example, London Zoo only has vacancies for birds at the moment.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemastr View Post
unfortunately anything mildly venomous can still kill you, a FWC can still kill you but has a poor delivery system, mangrove snakes are the others i believe, still dangerous but again poor delivery system
there are literally hundreds of rear fanged snakes, not just those 2.

as dan says, you need a venomous mentor. try asking local pet shops, or on here