Decisions, decisions, decisions! Help me chose. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Regular
Exclamation Decisions, decisions, decisions! Help me chose.

I'm considering purchasing a snake in the next few weeks, initially I was set on the Royal but I have found some interesting alternatives.

I would like a very well tempered animal that doesn't mind being handled occasionally. Perhaps to be used for educational purposes if it can handle it. But I don't want anything too big (not past 6 feet) so Common Boas are out. And I want to stay in the beginner species.
When I say don't mind being handled, I mean will stretch out and be relaxed in-hand. Not freeze up, perform escape behavior or try to find the nearest crease to hide in. All of these behaviors show stress but are SO easily misread as "cute".

I have previous herp experience including corns and milks and find them too high strung and nippy for what I'm looking for.

I know that there are variations in each species per individual. I would be looking for a yearling to get a better picture of personality. So far my choices are:

1st choice Ball Python from "Markus Jayne": But general feedback tells me they're very shy and get stressed VERY easily by handling. Freezing/balling behavior is misread as "sleeping" or settling when being handled. Though I've heard about great tempered snakes.

2nd Choice Dwarf Boa: But can't seem to find any solid info on them or any reputable breeders in Canada. ANY info from you guys?!

3rd Choice Rainbow Boas: But seem a little larger, pricey and are apparently nippy when juvenile (when do they grow out of it?).

I've also heard of sand, carpet or rosy boas and children pythons but can't find the right info on them. I can't figure out which would be best. And all the contrary information is driving me BONKERS!

What would you recommend ( and any Canadian breeders to go with them)? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2008, 01:32 AM

if its to be used for educational purposes royals would defo get too stressed. i would imagine any snake would being stared at and handled by lots of kiddies. the only snake i have out of my lot that MIGHT put up with this would be my wee rosy boa. but i wouldnt put her through that.
Old 28-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Super Regular

No, it wouldn't be children, more adult education. The animal would only be handled by me, it would be more for display, and would only be done with truly relaxed, mature animals a couple times a month.
And again, it's only a possibility.

I would LOVE some more feedback guys, good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Forum Citizen

I know you said you have a size limit but Burms IMO make the best snakes for educating people they are always amazed that this 16 foot snake is so calm but of course you would need a few people to give you a hand!
Old 28-09-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik View Post
I know you said you have a size limit but Burms IMO make the best snakes for educating people they are always amazed that this 16 foot snake is so calm but of course you would need a few people to give you a hand!
thats true, my common boa is actually calm too. i thought it was kids, sorry.
Old 28-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Super Regular

I just don't have the time, space, man-power or skills to take on an animal that will grow to 10++++ feet.

It would be irresponsible of me. If I plan on getting myself an animal, I plan for it's entire lifespan. I can't say with complete honesty that I can keep a burm of CB for it's entire life if they grow to ridiculous sizes.
Old 28-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via Skype™ to butterfingersbimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivix View Post
I just don't have the time, space, man-power or skills to take on an animal that will grow to 10++++ feet.

It would be irresponsible of me. If I plan on getting myself an animal, I plan for it's entire lifespan. I can't say with complete honesty that I can keep a burm of CB for it's entire life if they grow to ridiculous sizes.

how refreshing to have someone think ahead!!! you'd be suprised how many people don't do that!
Old 28-09-2008, 07:38 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 29

Know you"ve researched into this, but where kids are involved you cant beat a well adjusted corn!! Just stick to an adult who"s used to being handled, not a flighty hatchling, and you"ll be fine!!

1.2 lampropeltis knoblochi
1.1 Red Milks
1.3 Thayers Kings
1.0 Woodini
1.0 Childrens pythons
1.1 stripped corns

baby stripped corns and some variables for sale..message me

Oh....and 3 baby spiders ;-))
[/IMG]
Old 28-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Ultra Citizen

I have Corns, Royals, Childrens, Kings, a Boa & Hoggies and most of them are as soft as puppies!

The Hoggies are a bit hiss & puff, normal for Hoggies, but can put some people off.
Kings can be a bit food orientated and therefore a little jumpy at times.
Corns, well, they're Corns and are soft as loo paper!
Royals, ditto Corns. Although my big female sometimes hisses at the wife.
Childrens Python is just a lovable lad
And our Boa can sometimes be a bit crabby but she's good too.

We allow ALL of our snakes to be handled, by adults or children (in fact the kids are ALWAYS round here! 'Mister? Can we see the snakes??')

But we know our snakes & can tell if they're 'in the mood' or not.

Good luck with your decision, my friend!

Get one of each!!! Never have TOO many!!
Old 28-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Forum Citizen

my royal is great tempered, my daughters hold her all and she has never shown any aggression and rarely balls up.

my corns are still young but all handle well, if not a little flighty.

my crb is still young also and was told that they can be a bit nippy but never had a problem personally
0.1.0 Brazilian rainbow boa (xantara)
0.0.1 Western hognose (hoggle)
0.0.1 grammostola pulcheripes - Chaco gold knee
0.0.1 Grammostola rosea - Chilean Rose