Reptile Forums banner

Corn who thinks he's a rattle

675 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RichNick 
#1 ·
hey, ive got a amel corn snake who has a very good temprement never once bit or even tried to bite, but the last couple of days when ive changed his water or said hello or whatever he shakes the tip of his tail. Just wondering what this means?

is he getting stressed or does he want to bite me????or maybe both

Cheers Rich

#2 ·
its just a warning could be that you spooked it and its trying to scare you away or it could be that your in its viv and its saying get out my territory or i will bite but if you pick the snake up you will find 9 out of 10 times its just a bluff and the snake will be its normal good tempered self unless its just ate or shedding then it most probably really do's wanna be left alone

#3 ·
I have several rattle corns, they think they are hard LOL. It is just a warning, we must seem very big to them. If your snake is sleeping and gets a fright it may do this. Nothing to worry about....

#5 ·
thanks both of you for you help. Im sure it wont hurt being bitten by him as he's still only small, but ive never been biten by a snake and would like to keep it that way lol. He was asleep when hes done it,mind you he's always asleep lol.

#6 ·
no hes not due a shed as he shed lastweek

#7 ·
It really doesn't hurt if they do bite, but it can make you jump as they are so quick. I have a pair of 07 sunkissed okeettee corns that bite repeatedly when you handle them but they just make me laugh mostly (ok and bleed a wee bit).

I think ur one is just telling you that you have woken him up :)

#10 ·
Dont worry. they all seem to go through a phase of doing this...it"s a "im tough, dont touch me" thing!! Dont be put of by him, handle him as normal, and as he gets older he will grow out of it!

#12 ·
i didnt even notice him doing it, i just heard a noise and had a look about then noticed his tail lol. ive got a leopard gecko who does it before he strikes his food aswell.

So i'll just carry on as normal as if he wasnt doing it then:2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.