Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   What do you think it takes? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/20110-what-do-think-takes.html)

beguana 08-02-2007 03:02 AM

What do you think it takes?

Right one of the blokes i know thinks that he can just start on cobras anaconders and boas, iv tryed to explane that its not that easy! you need to own a snake first before you even think of the large snakes, he wont even have a corn cos its 'too small' and he HAS to have a boa or somthing
can you tell me what you think
jaz x

beguana 08-02-2007 03:09 AM

and he has no income, can somone please say some words to him hes on this forum (no names)
jaz xx

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:11 AM

Cobras ? No one who hasn't got a dangerous animal license and inspection by the council to meet the requirements can keep poisonous snakes.

And only people with loads of experince would even consider applying for a license.

Boas are not a difficult animal to keep, as long as he gets a very young one, he would probably learn enough until it gets really big.

But by your comments, it looks like your friend is probably a very young person who is trying to show off :roll:

beguana 08-02-2007 03:11 AM

Also! one thing, do you think you need a licance for a anaconda
he thinks you dont

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:13 AM

You don't need a license for an anaconda, but you need plenty of space and experience. Definitely not a beginner's snake, they can be quite temperamental and demand a bit of knowledge as to understand the signals the snake will give to the owner.

Again, by your comments, it looks like this person is not older than 14 yo :roll:

talltom69 08-02-2007 03:18 AM

As well as the DWA you will need public liability insurance, which is not cheap, just incase it got out an bit someone.

Also the last person I knew who kept Rattles and Cobra had a load of anti-venom, should the worst happen and that itself is not cheap.

I'd advise your friend to start of small, get the experience and work his way up, otherwise he will only end up doing harm to himself, others and the snake.

plus with no income how is he going to afford the maintenance (food, substrate etc) esp for a larger snake.

Cheers

beguana 08-02-2007 03:21 AM

hes 18 and he wants to breed it liek now
and start a buissness
i think thats cos what im doing so i can rase money for my iguana

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 03:21 AM

Im planing on gettin my 1st snake asap and im thinkin about a corn or boa.
But i am thinkin a corn would be so much more appropriate.
and not only that there was pics of a 6 foot corn on this forum and a 6foot snake is pretty big if u ask me.

beguana 08-02-2007 03:23 AM

his argument is that You don't need a license for an anaconda so its easy and that they dont bite
jaz x

talltom69 08-02-2007 03:24 AM

Karl, were talking a good few years for the corn to reach 6ft and thats if it does get past 5 ft, but the good thing is that they dont get that big as in girth, like a royal or a boa.