Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   What do you think it takes? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/20110-what-do-think-takes.html)

beguana 08-02-2007 03:02 AM

What do you think it takes?

Right one of the blokes i know thinks that he can just start on cobras anaconders and boas, iv tryed to explane that its not that easy! you need to own a snake first before you even think of the large snakes, he wont even have a corn cos its 'too small' and he HAS to have a boa or somthing
can you tell me what you think
jaz x

beguana 08-02-2007 03:09 AM

and he has no income, can somone please say some words to him hes on this forum (no names)
jaz xx

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:11 AM

Cobras ? No one who hasn't got a dangerous animal license and inspection by the council to meet the requirements can keep poisonous snakes.

And only people with loads of experince would even consider applying for a license.

Boas are not a difficult animal to keep, as long as he gets a very young one, he would probably learn enough until it gets really big.

But by your comments, it looks like your friend is probably a very young person who is trying to show off :roll:

beguana 08-02-2007 03:11 AM

Also! one thing, do you think you need a licance for a anaconda
he thinks you dont

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:13 AM

You don't need a license for an anaconda, but you need plenty of space and experience. Definitely not a beginner's snake, they can be quite temperamental and demand a bit of knowledge as to understand the signals the snake will give to the owner.

Again, by your comments, it looks like this person is not older than 14 yo :roll:

talltom69 08-02-2007 03:18 AM

As well as the DWA you will need public liability insurance, which is not cheap, just incase it got out an bit someone.

Also the last person I knew who kept Rattles and Cobra had a load of anti-venom, should the worst happen and that itself is not cheap.

I'd advise your friend to start of small, get the experience and work his way up, otherwise he will only end up doing harm to himself, others and the snake.

plus with no income how is he going to afford the maintenance (food, substrate etc) esp for a larger snake.

Cheers

beguana 08-02-2007 03:21 AM

hes 18 and he wants to breed it liek now
and start a buissness
i think thats cos what im doing so i can rase money for my iguana

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 03:21 AM

Im planing on gettin my 1st snake asap and im thinkin about a corn or boa.
But i am thinkin a corn would be so much more appropriate.
and not only that there was pics of a 6 foot corn on this forum and a 6foot snake is pretty big if u ask me.

beguana 08-02-2007 03:23 AM

his argument is that You don't need a license for an anaconda so its easy and that they dont bite
jaz x

talltom69 08-02-2007 03:24 AM

Karl, were talking a good few years for the corn to reach 6ft and thats if it does get past 5 ft, but the good thing is that they dont get that big as in girth, like a royal or a boa.

beguana 08-02-2007 03:25 AM

6 foot is taller than me, and hes shorter than me basicly i just want him to relize how hard it can be
im trying to look out for him
jaz x

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 297998)
his argument is that You don't need a license for an anaconda so its easy and that they dont bite
jaz x

Anacondas don't bite ? Are you sure he's 18 ? Sorry but you don't decide overnight that you will start breeding snakes and make a lot of money out of it. It's a very lengthy process that takes patience, study, investment, time and experience.

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talltom69 (Post 298000)
Karl, were talking a good few years for the corn to reach 6ft and thats if it does get past 5 ft, but the good thing is that they dont get that big as in girth, like a royal or a boa.

Well yea you do have a point but they way i look at it just havin a snake is cool dont need a huge one...

I think his tryin to make up for somthing
:lolsign:

beguana 08-02-2007 03:33 AM

he knows his stuff, and im not saying i know more, im still learning
but hes gotta relize how hard it can be starting at the realy like hard part of owning snakes, he should start from a baby then id be happyer about it
jaz

beguana 08-02-2007 03:35 AM

how can i make him relize im just trying to help?

this is what he just sent me about the forum

......says:
yh and anacondas dnt bite cause they they coil round there prey then swallow them
......says:
and woo ever the *** it is best shut uyp

jaz x

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:35 AM

Jaz, how can you say he knows his stuff, if he hasn't kept snakes before, and all his ideas has been an absurd to say the least ?

Anacondas don't bite ...

Cobras are good beginner's snake ...

Open a business without having experince and resources ...

Surely he doesn't know anything :lol2:

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298007)

......says:
yh and anacondas dnt bite cause they they coil round there prey then swallow them
......says:
and woo ever the **** it is best shut uyp

jaz x

Tell him he urgently needs to see a psychiatrist before he becomes violent :hmm:

beguana 08-02-2007 03:40 AM

no i mean like how to keep them
i know he dont know like what its like realy
but he has all the info on the vivs temps and space and so on
and he remember it lol
i know hes 18 cos hes now my ex, yeah and we just fell out over snakes oh joy lol! oh well happends, i just wanted him to relize what he can get himself into i dont want his daughter to get eaten by a snake! or him get hurt, or him not be able to have the snake and no one take it in or somthing im trying to get him to relize how hard it is
and the long term care
i guess im trying to stick up for him cos i care lol
but i care about the snakes too
jaz x

beguana 08-02-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter (Post 298009)
Tell him he urgently needs to see a psychiatrist before he becomes violent :hmm:

he would if he saw that, he has a link to this topic aswell lol
ohwell hes on this site aswell he can do what he wants, but when his snakes get ill i will be taking them off him
i even offerd him a snake to start off with and thats a 4ft corn!
he said it was too small
jaz x

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:46 AM

Well, I'm stepping out of this argument because it will lead nowhere.

Experince you don't get by reading or knowing what temperatures should be. I keep snakes for years and I still learn on a daily basis.

I can see this subject is very personal between the two of you, and no matter what anyone tells you, you won't take any notice anyway.

I have a 11 yo son to look after and that's about all I'm prepared to spend time with when it comes to solving age related problems.

Pretend I never came here, and I promise I won't trouble you anymore.

beguana 08-02-2007 03:55 AM

lol i just wanted to know about if you need a licance for anacondas sorry im a bit drunk so
jaz x

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298014)
he would if he saw that, he has a link to this topic aswell lol
ohwell hes on this site aswell he can do what he wants, but when his snakes get ill i will be taking them off him
i even offerd him a snake to start off with and thats a 4ft corn!
he said it was too small
jaz x

Are you looking to sell that corn and if so is it tame?

beguana 08-02-2007 03:56 AM

Shes very tame yeah shes 4 foot but shes on the run at the moment lol!
jaz x

tombraider 08-02-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

......says:
......says:

jaz x

Hope he teaches his kid to spell better than he does. :grin1:

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298021)
lol i just wanted to know about if you need a licance for anacondas sorry im a bit drunk so
jaz x

Nothing wrong with being drunk really :D

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298023)
Shes very tame yeah shes 4 foot but shes on the run at the moment lol!
jaz x

On the run asin you lost it lol?

When you find her how much would you be lookin for?
:D

Dexter 08-02-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombraider (Post 298027)
Hope he teaches his kid to spell better than he does. :grin1:

Hi Maxine, where have you been, long time no see you :Na_Na_Na_Na:

tombraider 08-02-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter (Post 298031)
Hi Maxine, where have you been, long time no see you :Na_Na_Na_Na:

I was bored so i went messing in paint shop making a new rubbish sig :grin1:

beguana 08-02-2007 04:05 AM

lol, ummmm im looking for about 70, because she is so tame and that, i was going to breed her again but my males been sold and im moving on to royals and boas
plus my iguana needs the money (she means more to me than anything)
if you want her in the viv she will cost 130
but im open to offers :)

and i know theres nothing wrong with beying drunk!
jaz x

1949_sam 08-02-2007 04:05 AM

Hello everyone what have i missed :whistling2:

beguana 08-02-2007 04:07 AM

Hia sam,
just a stupid 18 yr old thinking he knows all about snakes and wants a anaconda as a first snake breeding size lol
jaz x

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1949_sam (Post 298035)
Hello everyone what have i missed :whistling2:

Erm ive posted pics of my new tank plans in snake pics lol:D

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298034)
lol, ummmm im looking for about 70, because she is so tame and that, i was going to breed her again but my males been sold and im moving on to royals and boas
plus my iguana needs the money (she means more to me than anything)
if you want her in the viv she will cost 130
but im open to offers :)

and i know theres nothing wrong with beying drunk!
jaz x

Im buildin a viv into my room so i wont be needing a viv.
Have you got any pics of her and are you in any rush to sell/would you be able to save her till i can get the money if i wanna buy

1949_sam 08-02-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298036)
Hia sam,
just a stupid 18 yr old thinking he knows all about snakes and wants a anaconda as a first snake breeding size lol
jaz x

Ok thanks, but that is a really big snake i mean for a first snake, i started on corns and might go the green tree python or boas but i'm not sure yet :hmm:

beguana 08-02-2007 04:22 AM

i can save her lol you gotta remember she needs finding lol, taking the chair apart tomorrow lol!

jaz x

1949_sam 08-02-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_1989 (Post 298037)
Erm ive posted pics of my new tank plans in snake pics lol:D

Thanks karl i'll have to go and have a quick look : victory:

Karl_1989 08-02-2007 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 298048)
i can save her lol you gotta remember she needs finding lol, taking the chair apart tomorrow lol!

jaz x

Thats great i should have my tank built within the next week so ill get back to you :thumb:

beguana 08-02-2007 04:29 AM

fair enough :P pm me cos i might not be on much well unless its like l8 like this time cos i got a iguana viv to build :P i will also keep peoples up to date on that
jaz x

Forbidden-Feline 08-02-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beguana (Post 297983)
Right one of the blokes i know thinks that he can just start on cobras anaconders and boas, iv tryed to explane that its not that easy! you need to own a snake first before you even think of the large snakes, he wont even have a corn cos its 'too small' and he HAS to have a boa or somthing
can you tell me what you think
jaz x

Well, anything like a cobra is out of the question! He'd have to get a licence and have a lot of experience with snakes.
As for a Boa, well, I'm only just planning on getting a boa and I've owned corns for nearly a year. The reason for my wanting to get a boa is because I've become used to handling corns and want something a little different. I strongly recommend getting something like a Corn or even a Rat Snake first. If it's size being the issue, a Rat snake may be better since they do generally get bigger than Corns (So I've herd).
Sounds like he just want's bragging rights of owning a big or dangerous snake. As for the whole income situation. He really needs to get some form of money coming in so he will be able to support the snake too! Income will have to be his main issue to deal with first before he even considers getting a snake.

Ssthisto 08-02-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

......says:
......says:

jaz x

Just as a quick note:

Anacondas most certainly do bite. I know they do also constrict their prey then swallow them whole - but most prey animals won't just sit there while Mr. Giant Snake sidles up to them and quietly wraps around them. The snake bites and holds on while it wraps around them so that the prey animal doesn't escape. Then they constrict and kill their prey by asphyxiating it - by making sure it can't breathe - before swallowing them.

An adult anaconda IS big enough to bite, grab, constrict and kill a human even if it might not always be able to EAT that human.

Please, please, please, if you want to start owning 'big snakes' start with a LITTLE big snake - a baby.

Lastly... breeding reptiles is not the best of ways to make money. I bred geckos last year and absolutely didn't break even let alone make money. If you're buying all the equipment not only to keep the adults healthy but also the babies, you're making a massive outlay to begin with - and IF you can sell all the babies you might make money. What happens if your adult gets egg-bound and has to go to the vet? What happens if you get a bunch of kinked or deformed babies that should really be euthanised? What happens if nobody WANTS anacondas this year and you can't sell twenty or more very quick growing babies who will want feeding just the same as your adults do?