Reptile Forums banner

Gtp

2K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  Kev.K 
#1 ·
Hi, just going to ask a couple of questions about GTP's and their care, so what im wondering is:
After its outgrown the small 4 gallon tank I plan on using until he/she gets large enough to go into the bigger tank, would it be ok in a 48x18x19" for life, as the is the biggest plastic vivarium I can find. Otherwise, I can get a 3x2x2' partially waterproofed (bottom and sides, upto glass only), and the price isnt a huge differance, but its just more the extra height and width of the 3foot that may be more bennificial, but then its shorter...
The other thing is handeling. Ive read about their delicate spines and fragile nature etc but I would really want to handel it when its older.
Ive said abit about what ive kept etc in the introduction forum.
Thanks alot

#3 ·
Ok thanks alot, Ive had a look on there, but Im really looking for personal advice as far as the cage sizes are, because on his site it simply says a 3x2x2, but would not having that extra height and depth be a majour hinderance?
Also, whats your views on ATB's, because all ive been hearing about them is how nippy they are...

Thanks, Mike

#4 ·
Extra height can make it more difficult to heat and humidify. If you want a larger viv, have it longer rather than higher.
Don't think that because they're arboreal that they need great height. 2 ft high is plenty. Ensure at least 1 perch preferably 2, at different heights.
Arboreals tend to go to the highest point in the viv whether it's 2 ft or 10 ft. Even if the temp there is totally unsuitable.

I use 3' long x 2' high x 2' deep viv's for each of my GTP's, this will suffice in adulthood.
An unusually large femele may need a 4 (long) x 2 x 2

#7 ·
ATBs can be vicious little sods! Once you get them out, they seem to calm down, but it's gettin them out in the first place which is the problem. They're ok with you putting your hands in their viv for a little while, but over stay your welcome and you'll know about it!

#9 ·
They may be cook's tree boas (which are more common) but mislabled.

They do calm down eventually, as with most living things, but you need a lot of patience. If you're careful with them, they will treat you likewise.

I got our's out at work the other day and they were fine, but when I had to change the water, the male (of a breeding pair) went on the defensive - didn't attack though.

It all depends on how good you are with snakes

#13 ·
Wow, both of your tanks look great. Ive seen the Hertek vivs, but the 100x60x50cm vivs are like £250, which I think is abit much, when you think that there are other brands like Pennine who have 48x18x19" plastic vivs for about £90...
I think that if I do get one, ill get a partially waterproofed, wooden 3x2x2 one, but I think the smaller vivs/tanks I have allready (still have the hoggies tank) will do it for quite a while.
Having seen the Amazon Tree Boas for so cheap however, Im kinda considering one of them for a first aboreal, just because theyre easier to get hold of, and much cheaper aswell. What do you think?
Thanks for the info, fundo
Mike

#14 ·
i want a gtp,but i think i will get a amazon tree boa first,just to get me used to the temprament of them etc,i think it will be best to progress to them before splashing out on a gtp

#26 ·
scale counts aint worth much in this case as hortulanus/cookii/granadensis and ruschenbergeri all overlap on the counts,best means of identifying a true cookii is to go catch it yourself and therefore have 100%provenance,any cookii in a shop is hortulanus as non of the other species are easy to obtain
regards gaz

#27 ·
Is It Ok

hi all is it ok to but a heat strip on the back of my tank just so you no what i mean i have a 4 foot glass fish tank split in to 2 2 foot tanks it is 1 and a half foot tall but in stead of buting a heat lamp in can i put a heat strip in to do the same job along the back of the tank it as t baby boa's in the tank just incase you want to no what isa in there it has a heat mat under the bottom of the tank and it is on a habistat thermostat set at 84f but its not getting hot at the top of the tank so seeing that i have 4 strip left wanted to no if it be ok to put one at the top all so will they be hot enoght to keep my royal python on aas am getting 2 at the weekend they will be in 1foot by half foot tubs as well will they be ok as got told they dont like to be in big spaces thanks

#30 ·
I should really re-name this topic, because its kinda clear that Im not set on a GTP...Im just put off by the price, cos ive only kept a corn and a western hognose before. Would a single ATB need a 3x2x2, like the GTPs?
Does anyone know of a good place to get them from, Im in Cheshire, so somewhere near-ish here would be good.
Also, which habitstat thermostat would you reccomend for heat mats, because I would get a normal mat stat, or thermostat, but it seems that much more people use pulse proportional stats instead...

Thanks alot, Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.