Reptile Forums banner

First Snake

2K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  medusa0373 
#1 ·
Just want to say got my first snake and its so cool, iv always had dogs, rats, and birds. gotta say my snake is the best so far. got a question too after 2 days of having it i couldnt let him live in a small tub anymore so went out and spent almost 60£ on a snake starter kit, got a nice size vivarium its about 40cm long x 25cm wide, this too big?? got a heat mat, he has a nice piece of bark in there for shelter and a toilet roll, also some moss. is wood chippins a good thing to have in the bottom of the tank he has made like a net work of tunnels under it, its really cool? just want to add im feeding him 2 times a week now and he hasnt refused 1 meal so he must be liking it in there.

Oh 1 other thing i havent found any faeces yet is that right?

Regards jamie Hurst :) <-- happy snake owner

#36 ·
It's a bit warmer than it should be.

I would do one of two things.

My personal choice if it were my house (which is pretty warm - not least because we have reptile enclosures in every room that keep the rooms warm) would be to unplug the heat mat entirely until I had a thermostat for the mat.

The other option is taking the heat mat out from under the cage and set it up against the SIDE of the tank, so that your snake still gets some heat, but won't be exposed to the temperatures that are dangerous.

#38 ·
No, because that half of the heat mat is still getting just exactly as hot and it will get that area just exactly as hot as it was.

#40 ·
I would, yes :)

That's a good temporary measure. I wouldn't feed him again until you've got a thermostat for the mat and can accurately control the temperatures for him.

#42 ·
i would recomend you do what you should have done before you bought the snake and read every care sheet you can get your hands on! tbh, my impression is you thought your mates snakes were cool so you wanted 1....you then go to a crappy pet shop without having done any research and just bought the bare minimum you thought or were told you needed.

i may be wrong though..........

the one thing that goes in your favour compared to many other people is that it seems your prepared to listen to people that do have knowledge of reptiles. get a thermostat asap and keep us posted on how your snake is doing :2thumb:

if you need any more help dont be afraid to ask all of these lovely people :no1:

#43 · (Edited)
My mate had a snake whan i was about 12 im now 24.... so no its not that. my girfriends mate is a reptile breader and she sold me one... i havent got one because i want to look cool or because its cool.. i may sound gay but there adorable :)

and i will ask for advise and keep you guys posted on everthing :)

Rgds Jay

#45 ·
Hi mitch,

Well i went to pets at home in the city center and they dont do jack S@*% for snakes there, had a word with the manager and they told me about a little shop in the agora in wolverton! the place is a bloody dive but it sell food, and everthing you need for a snake. also my ex-girlfreind went to a pet shop at westcroft near morrisions and they sell everthing also mate.. thats where im getting my next viv from.

let me know if there was anything of use to you there :)]

Rgds Jay

#46 ·
Hi mitch,

Well i went to pets at home in the city center and they dont do jack S@*% for snakes there, had a word with the manager and they told me about a little shop in the agora in wolverton! the place is a bloody dive but it sell food, and everthing you need for a snake. also my ex-girlfreind went to a pet shop at westcroft near morrisions and they sell everthing also mate.. thats where im getting my next viv from.

let me know if there was anything of use to you there :)]

Rgds Jay
Ahhhh, Yeah I picked up a few bits from Jollies (In Westcroft). They didn't do Thermostats in there though (Or atleast haven't in my 2 visits there) but that's where I too got most my bits from.

As for the food in Jollies, they have pinkies, and then go up to Small Mice, which is ****ing useless for me. It could have been the useless teen working in the evening, but from looking through their freezers it looks like that's all they do. So I had to mail-order mine from 888reptiles, great quality from there though.

And I agree with your comments on Pets @ Home. They do nothing there now unless you have a Cat/Dog. apparently fairly recently alot of their animals got taken away and their licences cut right back due to the shit care they were giving their animals.

MK really needs a decent one. Although there's one up in Northampton (Reptile Centre-UK Reptile Supplies/Buy Reptiles Online, snakes, spiders, frogs, lizards, tortoises, turtle, toads, geckos, skinks, chameleons, dragons, monitors, amphibians, live food and more reptiles and reptile supplies!) which I'm planning on giving a visit when I'm next there in the daylight hours :D

#49 ·
Well thanks to liz and mark then make was well nice, I gave him some extra money for the trip :) i called my snake dante cool name eh... well munchkin is in teh bathroom at mo. i will take another of you next year i want a pink one if you have any :).. dante is doing good he hasnt missed any feeds yet and i think he like his new viv... he like hideing under his log thingy.. one thin i havent found any poo yet, also how oftem do i need to change his viv? liek clean it out and put new wood chips in?

#50 ·
I spot clean my viv or RUB whenever I see a "present" LOL and once a month I clear everything out, disinfect it all and replace the substrate with fresh. For my BRB with her moist hides, I replace the moss every couple of days as the moist conditions can breed nasties. People's routines may vary though, depending on whether they have 1 or 100 snakes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.