Reptile Forums banner

corn snake that won,t feed

888 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chewy 
#1 ·
:notworthy:i bought a pair of corns from this fantastic web site really nice snakes male and female kept in the same viv the male feeds fine and the female fed once a couple of days after i got her home but has refused for the last 3 weeks she is showing all the signs of being gravid she is really lumpy with sticky out scales. do corn snakes stop feeding a few weeks prior to laying eggs thanks

#6 ·
Would also be better to separate to reduce stress on the female while she lays and recovers, keeping them together will only risk her becoming gravid again straight away with no time to put any weight back on and regain condition.

#7 ·
I had this once I brought a 3 year old corn, she shed her skin first day I got her back then she fed then never fed for 2 weeks, then laid loads of eggs. so I had brought a pregnant one :)

I was very worried about her but it is common for them to stop eating before they lay eggs, but if she does for the next couple of weeks after feed her small mice every 4-5 days to slowy bring back her strength

#8 ·
It is far too late in the year for a corn to be gravid. I have to say that I have never heard of "sticky out scales" as a sign of gravidity. When you say she is "lumpy" what do you mean? Generally, gravid corns appear to be swollen rather than lumpy. You can feel the eggs from the underside by gently rubbing the underside from head to tail. A picture will be very useful, as this doesn't sound gravid.

#9 ·
There is a chance there is an alternative explanation, but tit is not too late in the year for her to be gravid, just because corns generally breed around spring time, does not mean a pair that co-habit all year round won't breed at any opportunity, this female being gravid is a completely valid possible explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.