20+ burm - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 29-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by repkid View Post
Thats one hell of a ing bite!!!

They had a proper bloody decent reason to want to rehome.!!!
can i just ask
has anyone seen a snake bite like this ive kept big snakes for 25+ yrs and never seen a bite like this
ive had some bad bites but nowt like this it looks like its been done by a saw r summit
IN FACT
JUST BUGGER OFF AND LEAVE ME ALONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Sinni,

You were reassuring me last night that Bertha had a home for life with you, and would be safe in your hands,yet here you are today saying that you would cut her head off if she attempts to do to you. If that is how you really feel then i will take her off of your hands as soon as I can raise the transport. My old Vet and I have have papers saying that she remains the property of the Rescue Centre anyway if needs be along with photos of said snake and wittinesses,but I was willing to ignore that after speaking with you.

I think I should explain that I was only minutes away from Bertha, but had not been in contact for a while due to a serious illness myself, plus the fact that I was heavily grieving for lost family, close friends and animals that all chose to die very month of the ear for a full year. During this period my Hubby had spoken to the couple and said that I was not taking in any more reptiles, but he never meant that we would wipe our hands of the snakes that we had re-homed. Betha remains my favorite of all times snake, and I have brought her back from the brink of death on 3 occasions, the last taking 72 hours with no sleep at all, and the vet being present for the first 24 hours,so sick was she.

Before my time out, I was only moments away from the couple, as were others of us, so for those assuming otherwise, and going off on their rants without knowing the full circumstances, perhaps they can think long and hard first next time. A person is hardly going to put all of the facts surrounding the case, when they wish to re-home, just what is valid and important to the re-homer.

For any reading here that I have lost touch with for a while, that have homed any of my fold from here, sorry but I had a hell of a lot to contend with, and am still working through it, but am here for you all still. All the time I have a breath left in me, I remain here for my rescued and re-homed reptiles and their owners.

As well as many natural but out of the blue unexpected natural deaths, I have had to deal with m Son hanging himself and my Daughter -in-Law following him by taking her life too 3 months after Steve, which was as it happens just after my Mum plus a best friend died. This was followed on by my other close and dear friends, and then some of my older reptiles here, so no wonder I was ill and not in touch with the couple, but if I had known Hubby had said what he did, I would have contacted them and put the record straight.

Bertha is a miracle snake, and is one of the most gentle giants I have ever known, and has been seen on Childrens TV, ITV, BBC, and so on, and has taken part in programmes where Animal Rights and the RSPCA were also present,and she was representing the good side and rights of keeping of the large boids, and the reason why they should not have been placed on the DWA,although very seriously, as if the present trend of everyone jumping in to own the big giants,without realizing just what their full potential is, I now question my actions back then, and dread to see what the future holds when these small at present boids reach their full potential in both size and sexual maturity in their own terms.

What has been described to me is a pure and simple feeding response, that was not spotted by the person entering the viv. There was not anything else there. These snake is too gentle a giant.

By the way, might as well add here, that none of you knew just how long the couple had had the snake for at the time of coming out with, the 'should have known better' with just too people and a 20 odd ft snake.
Lets say the couple had owned the snake for many years, this would mean that they could well have brought the snake when many had no idea of the full size of a burm, and shop keepers that might have known wanted sales, and so would fob people off with things like, it will only grow to 6ft missus, (just like the one about the iggi's that only grow to 3 ft if you exclude their tail, soa3 ft viv for life would be great, and they often back then removed the iggi's tail.) and the people would of course believe them. Now take the little adorable puppy that grows with you, and you expect it to remain small, but instead it continues to grow, and you find that it's been crossed with a large breed of dog, hence it's huge size, but you have had it as a family pet for years, and it is adorable and as gentle as could be, and very much a part of your family. You have no reason to be wary of it. Do you just get rid of be because it is bigger than you expected, or do you keep it, being a responsible owner in the first instance?

Please think in future before jumping on a band wagon. There are so much better things that you all could be doing with your time. I spent hours, months, years learning, as could many of you, yet the interesting threads get so little response, but the chance to have a go for the sake of it, is far more popular. Does not bode well for the hobby does it now? Instead it could mean no more book authors here in the UK, thus relying on the often dicey life risking advice on the internet, and books from American Authors, where their climate is different to ours, and thus many of the temps they quote for America are life threatening to our snakes here.

Stopping here for now. Need a coffee.

Mo.

Will add however that people have tried chopping/cutting off a snakes head, and it has taken ages to kill the snake's body, and remember the snake's brain lives on for upwards of a couple of hours after it has been decapitated, and so it's head can lay there seeing all around it, and knowing what has happened to it, and through no fault of it's own, and it can be in much pain. People have also lunged knifes repeatably into large boids to no avail. There are other methods that should always be applied first, and that often work without all the damage that incurred there. Fighting the snake would make it thin it's prey was fighting it, and it would respond accordingly, making matters much worse for both the person and it's self. I suggest all of you out there owning these large boids start doing your own research into the best ways of handling a situation such as occurred here that is in the interest of both snake and person, so that a parting of the ways is brought about as quickly, and as efficiently as possible with as little injury to both parties as is possible.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:12 PM

i don't think anyone was condeming them for rehoming the snake, we were just saying it was a bit irresponsible to have 1 or even 2 people handling a snake of that size. that is how those kind of accidents happen unfortunately. especially as the snake was advertised at 20ft +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Collinson View Post
Sinni,

You were reassuring me last night that Bertha had a home for life with you, and would be safe in your hands,yet here you are today saying that you would cut her head off if she attempts to do to you. If that is how you really feel then i will take her off of your hands as soon as I can raise the transport. My old Vet and I have have papers saying that she remains the property of the Rescue Centre anyway if needs be along with photos of said snake and wittinesses,but I was willing to ignore that after speaking with you.

I think I should explain that I was only minutes away from Bertha, but had not been in contact for a while due to a serious illness myself, plus the fact that I was heavily grieving for lost family, close friends and animals that all chose to die very month of the ear for a full year. During this period my Hubby had spoken to the couple and said that I was not taking in any more reptiles, but he never meant that we would wipe our hands of the snakes that we had re-homed. Betha remains my favorite of all times snake, and I have brought her back from the brink of death on 3 occasions, the last taking 72 hours with no sleep at all, and the vet being present for the first 24 hours,so sick was she.

Before my time out, I was only moments away from the couple, as were others of us, so for those assuming otherwise, and going off on their rants without knowing the full circumstances, perhaps they can think long and hard first next time. A person is hardly going to put all of the facts surrounding the case, when they wish to re-home, just what is valid and important to the re-homer.

For any reading here that I have lost touch with for a while, that have homed any of my fold from here, sorry but I had a hell of a lot to contend with, and am still working through it, but am here for you all still. All the time I have a breath left in me, I remain here for my rescued and re-homed reptiles and their owners.

As well as many natural but out of the blue unexpected natural deaths, I have had to deal with m Son hanging himself and my Daughter -in-Law following him by taking her life too 3 months after Steve, which was as it happens just after my Mum plus a best friend died. This was followed on by my other close and dear friends, and then some of my older reptiles here, so no wonder I was ill and not in touch with the couple, but if I had known Hubby had said what he did, I would have contacted them and put the record straight.

Bertha is a miracle snake, and is one of the most gentle giants I have ever known, and has been seen on Childrens TV, ITV, BBC, and so on, and has taken part in programmes where Animal Rights and the RSPCA were also present,and she was representing the good side and rights of keeping of the large boids, and the reason why they should not have been placed on the DWA,although very seriously, as if the present trend of everyone jumping in to own the big giants,without realizing just what their full potential is, I now question my actions back then, and dread to see what the future holds when these small at present boids reach their full potential in both size and sexual maturity in their own terms.

What has been described to me is a pure and simple feeding response, that was not spotted by the person entering the viv. There was not anything else there. These snake is too gentle a giant.

By the way, might as well add here, that none of you knew just how long the couple had had the snake for at the time of coming out with, the 'should have known better' with just too people and a 20 odd ft snake.
Lets say the couple had owned the snake for many years, this would mean that they could well have brought the snake when many had no idea of the full size of a burm, and shop keepers that might have known wanted sales, and so would fob people off with things like, it will only grow to 6ft missus, (just like the one about the iggi's that only grow to 3 ft if you exclude their tail, soa3 ft viv for life would be great, and they often back then removed the iggi's tail.) and the people would of course believe them. Now take the little adorable puppy that grows with you, and you expect it to remain small, but instead it continues to grow, and you find that it's been crossed with a large breed of dog, hence it's huge size, but you have had it as a family pet for years, and it is adorable and as gentle as could be, and very much a part of your family. You have no reason to be wary of it. Do you just get rid of be because it is bigger than you expected, or do you keep it, being a responsible owner in the first instance?

Please think in future before jumping on a band wagon. There are so much better things that you all could be doing with your time. I spent hours, months, years learning, as could many of you, yet the interesting threads get so little response, but the chance to have a go for the sake of it, is far more popular. Does not bode well for the hobby does it now? Instead it could mean no more book authors here in the UK, thus relying on the often dicey life risking advice on the internet, and books from American Authors, where their climate is different to ours, and thus many of the temps they quote for America are life threatening to our snakes here.

Stopping here for now. Need a coffee.

Mo.

Will add however that people have tried chopping/cutting off a snakes head, and it has taken ages to kill the snake's body, and remember the snake's brain lives on for upwards of a couple of hours after it has been decapitated, and so it's head can lay there seeing all around it, and knowing what has happened to it, and through no fault of it's own, and it can be in much pain. People have also lunged knifes repeatably into large boids to no avail. There are other methods that should always be applied first, and that often work without all the damage that incurred there. Fighting the snake would make it thin it's prey was fighting it, and it would respond accordingly, making matters much worse for both the person and it's self. I suggest all of you out there owning these large boids start doing your own research into the best ways of handling a situation such as occurred here that is in the interest of both snake and person, so that a parting of the ways is brought about as quickly, and as efficiently as possible with as little injury to both parties as is possible.
the snake is going 2 stay with me like i said i said 2 garf the way he told me it was going 2 kill chris she was rolling round the floor with the snake constricting round her that i would off cut her head off
he told me that would of been the last resort
and im sure anybody in the same situation would do the same
and iv it happened 2 u, u would after consider doing it
would u rather loose the snake r ur other half
sorry iv i come across 2 u in the wrong way but i would do my best 2 get the snake off first i have had a 12ft burm constrict on me 4 about 15 /20 mins and god its scary but i did get her off sorry again
IN FACT
Old 29-11-2008, 07:32 PM

hi sinni, i would first like to apogise if i offended you in any way. after seeing the bite and hearing the full story i think i was a bit too quick to put the blame on the owners. the bite is obviously not a feeding response and was not the fault of the owner. it seems like she had a bad day. i hope you keep her and dont sell her on. as i said im more than willing to admit i was wrong. i still cant come to terms with the fact that a snake that could do this much damage would be left a lone with one person. my biggest is 16 and a half foot and we handle her every 2 days with 3 people and she stays out for an hour. i dont thnk by the info that you have gave that she will do it again but she needs to be treated with respect. take care of her and if you ever need any help dont be afraid to ask mate. im just down the road.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to adamntitch

thanks maureen for explaning in abit more detail about said snake and i do think it would of more likely been a feeding response i dont think any animals are aggresive just some are more defensive maybe something that day had upset said snake maybe kids banging on viv or certain noises but me myself keeping large boids and mainly afrocks no whens a good time to handle and when there not in the mood am sure most snakes would give a warning before stricking in such away

it could of even been the owners had petted a dog that day and not washed there hands and the smell drove said snake to bite

and everyone keeps saying only 2 to handle the snake ok maybe 2 in the house with it but whos nos there was not 8 people there to move the snake if needs be

only me and my mum here and ok am bad and handle my 8 foot afrock alone but all doors are open and theres alcohol and stuff set out just incase of a bite when its bigger then there will be more to just handle

with out being there that day and seeing the snake bite no one realy knows what causes said snake to bite

MEMBER NUMBER
Old 29-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Collinson View Post
Sinni,

You were reassuring me last night that Bertha had a home for life with you, and would be safe in your hands,yet here you are today saying that you would cut her head off if she attempts to do to you.
i think that she is in safe hands ith sinni, and i think that he will be able to make the observations that he last owner obviously missed as you said. But be it bertha or any other snake, if it had hold of you, or your husband, or your child or a loved one in such a way as bertha had hold of this lady, wouldnt you use whatever force neccessary to get it off? even if it meant the snake losin its life in order for you or your loved ones to keep theirs? i dont care how experienced someone is with snakes or any other animal, they all can be unpredictable and can do something that you cant always foresee
Miichu likes this.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinni View Post
the snake is going 2 stay with me like i said i said 2 garf the way he told me it was going 2 kill chris she was rolling round the floor with the snake constricting round her that i would off cut her head off
he told me that would of been the last resort
and im sure anybody in the same situation would do the same
and iv it happened 2 u, u would after consider doing it
would u rather loose the snake r ur other half
sorry iv i come across 2 u in the wrong way but i would do my best 2 get the snake off first i have had a 12ft burm constrict on me 4 about 15 /20 mins and god its scary but i did get her off sorry again
i dont think it would have been considered. i think it would have been a reaction [ as if you get time to think!!!]. i would gladly chop off the head of a dangerous snake [ especialiy if it was round mine or a child of mines neck]. let me guess, you would have let the snake kill you!! dont talk shit¬!!!!!!what would you have done? say well i was prey and it was only doing what its surposed too?? dont talk out ya arses!!!! well done sinni, you may have prolonged the snakes life by a least a coupkle of decades.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
hi sinni, i would first like to apogise if i offended you in any way. after seeing the bite and hearing the full story i think i was a bit too quick to put the blame on the owners. the bite is obviously not a feeding response and was not the fault of the owner. it seems like she had a bad day. i hope you keep her and dont sell her on. as i said im more than willing to admit i was wrong. i still cant come to terms with the fact that a snake that could do this much damage would be left a lone with one person. my biggest is 16 and a half foot and we handle her every 2 days with 3 people and she stays out for an hour. i dont thnk by the info that you have gave that she will do it again but she needs to be treated with respect. take care of her and if you ever need any help dont be afraid to ask mate. im just down the road.
cheers mate will do
IN FACT
Old 29-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Sinni,

Bertha did not get her name due to her size. Bertha had her name chosen when she was a few weeks old by her first owners, who grew her on, bred her, let her incubate her eggs herself, proving she was a good and gentle Mum as he kept the babies with her when they were born, not something I agreed with, but just filling you in here. Bertha was allowed to roam freely a lot of the time, and was seen by me when she was on the front room carpet, just feet away from one toddler, and had another year old sitting on top of her. There was a dog a couple of feet away too. Now there's something you can rave on about that is valid, even though back then, information was far and little between, as it was a huge learning curve.

When Bertha became ill though lack of the correct amount of heating after being moved to a huge new viv, after being educated about their freedom amongst the Children and pets, Bertha was packed inside a duvet cover, and placed over the owners shoulder, and driven to the Vet's on a motor bike, bless her. She had started off with an RI which fast became life threatening, and after trying to give the treatment to the poor creature for days at a time, I asked if I could have her at my place to make things easier, and to give her the required heat. Bertha was given to me outright to keep as mine.

First part of Bertha's life, which began in June 1990 when she hatched, making her now over 18 years of age, and this is the first time ever that she has bitten,and she has under gone some awful painful treatment in the past, and yet never ever retaliated or been a threat to anyone.

Mo.