What to do with a snake when you go on holiday?? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Star Member

Leaving a snake for a week or two is usually fine. All that is required is a visit every day or so to change the water and check for snake s**t.

Feeding the night before you leave is a big mistake. The snake will probably defecate while you are away. Better to feed 2 weeks before you go and then handle the snake a bit on the last few days to encourage things along. A fast of 4 weeks isn't going to harm an adult snake.

Hatchlings are a completely different can of worms, and will need a lot more attention.

The easiest way is to work out a reciprocal arrangement with local snake keeping friends. You look after theirs during the holidays and they look after yours. You also get to see and probably handle someone elses snakes. In my case I got to handle a very sociable burm and a baby retic with bad manners

holiday cottage in cornwall www.lanhernecottage.co.uk
2.1 2011 hatchling carpets for sale - pm me if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Forum Citizen

I left mines for 2 weeks with my mum.

All I asked her to do was change water daily and check the thermometer didnt go below 92f and if it did turn it up slightly and keep an eye on the thermometer at least 4 times a day when u pass.

Fed the day I left and fed when I got home. Also got my sister to pick up a mouse from the pet shop but he wasnt interested so
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Super Citizen

If it's a very young snake then don't leave it on it's own for more than a few days, adults of lots of species can happily survive for a week or so with just minor supervison, just make sure you feed it a few extra rats 3 weeks before you go (don't feed just before to make it sit in it's own crap!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Im going to Ireland for a week and i am leaving my cali king at mine with a friend nipping in to check on him and the tarantulas while im away. My baby Royal is going home with my friend as i worry about her as shes little and because she loves to paddle so runs out of water quickly.
My local reptile shop however looks after reps for a £2 a day charge which is really good. Couldnt recommend Emsworth enough.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Regular

she's a 6month old corn if this makes any difference. I wouldnt really like to take the risk of mites at a rep shop.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Gold Star Member

We have either friends or family come over and change the water and just make sure they haven't escaped etc....
Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Forum Citizen

hi,i live in littleover,if you want me to look after it i dont mind it will just blend in with the other hoard of babies have.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Forum Citizen

I wouldn't recommend boarding at a petshop for the reasons explained. I would leave at home and get a friend to change the water a couple of times during the week at the very least. It'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsmum22 View Post
hi,i live in littleover,if you want me to look after it i dont mind it will just blend in with the other hoard of babies have.

Cheers Calsmum22, that would be ace and will let you know well in advance when we go!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

She will be around one years old when we go away so is this an age where she can be left at home with regular checks??
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

If your only away for a week or so, then leaving it with a friend who you can TRUST to be sensible, will be fine, all they will need to do is change the water twice a week making sure they close the door to the Viv after they have taken the bowl out and put it back in... The stories i've heard of mates helping out!

For up to two weeks there should be no requirement to feed so long as you have fed the snake before going away - a little fasting wont do a snake any harm