Reptile Forums banner

My home made viv

2K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  lisa33 
#1 ·
Before the weekend my partner made me a viv for my 2 corns, Cocoa & Lokki..

Heres teh finished product but havent finished decorating it yet :) Fav part!

& a picture of my 2 little girls ( I just call them girls) - Poss Girls

Cocoa (Left) Lokki (Right)

See less See more
#7 ·
#3 · (Edited)
guard

hiya i can make her one if she cant find one local £7.50 posted bevan

#8 ·
Hope its not pine, as the OP has obviously spent time and effort on it, and it does look good.

#12 ·
Hi thanks for your replys & cocern...

I'm not sure if its treated or untreated.. But all i know is last year it use to be my wardrope..

Regarding the bulb cover i was going to make my own, well try But no ordered x2 extra large ones with local petshop.. hope they fit..

I didnt kno about the mixed sex thing... Not sure what to do now :(

#15 ·
If it's pine, the chances are you need to build it again with something else, as it's poisonous to reptiles.

There are a couple of other things wrong with your setup too, but I believe they have already been mentioned.

You really should have done your research before investing.

#25 ·
And as you asked so nicely:

Are those heat sources or thermostats?
Heat mat is controlled on a thermostat.. (Habytat is it) & the bulb is just like a light bulb, doesnt gerneate heat just light so i can see them

#21 ·
Is a newbie to reptiles & very confused now!

Can someone answer these questions for me!

Why is it bad to keep young cornsnakes together?

How is pine poisonius to them?

Thanks

#24 ·
its bad if they are a male and female as they are too young and if they try to the film could become egg bound and die, if they are too males when they grow they will fight, n if it is two females, i dont think theres a problem, sory dont know why pine is poisonous, just that it is

#29 ·
I think it is the strong scent and sap in pine timber that do not agree with reptiles. It is a poison to them. Timber vivs that you see in shops will have a vaneered smooth finish to them. They come mainly in a beech or oak finish. If you are still not sure have someone have a look at it for you. Putting a heat source into it if it is pine is going to expand the pine and this will help the timber release it's chemicals into the the enclosure. Not good.

If it is pine there may be a treatment you can get to paint onto it but I aint sure. Best of luck.

Cheers

#36 ·
I think you'll find that CEDAR is poisonous to Reptiles and many other animals, NOT Pine.
The reason untreated Pine is dodgy is because bad bacterior (sp) can thrive in the open grains of the wood. and that goes for any untreated Wood.
Therefore if Snakie poops = can not clean properly.
This is why melamine/laminated chip board (chipboard as an example) is prefered as the laminated skin is a plastic based print of what ever grain is desired. So making it much easyer to clean.

hope this helps Deano.........

#38 ·
I think you'll find that CEDAR is poisonous to Reptiles and many other animals, NOT Pine.
The reason untreated Pine is dodgy is because bad bacterior (sp) can thrive in the open grains of the wood. and that goes for any untreated Wood.
Therefore if Snakie poops = can not clean properly.
This is why melamine/laminated chip board (chipboard as an example) is prefered as the laminated skin is a plastic based print of what ever grain is desired. So making it much easyer to clean.

hope this helps Deano.........

thanks for that, its made it more understanable for me :) :notworthy:

#37 ·
Can pine be treated then with like a varnish or wax of some sort?

#40 ·
Yes I have in the past used 4<5 layers of finishing wax on pine "No probs"
varnish is fine aswell and probably better as it leaves a glossy finnish so easyer too clean.
BUT both methods Must have the full Curing time needed + another 12hrs to be on the safe side in well ventilated areas away from any animals.
This time is needed so any toxins in either method have fully reacted/dryed giving off no fumes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.