Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   Pet Insurance (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/256569-pet-insurance.html)

bubbles783 16-02-2009 01:39 PM

Pet Insurance
 
Where is the best place for pet insurance, for exotic animals? I've found most "normal" insurance brokers don't cover exotics......

essexchondro 16-02-2009 01:45 PM

The only place is Exotics Direct. IMO the premiums are too expensive, with too many exclusions, to make it worthwhile for reptiles. I think people would generally be better off putting aside some money on a regular basis to build up an emergency fund, or if they need a larger sum of money straight away just put it on credit card and then move the balance to a new card every six months or so to ensure you're not paying interest on it (0% balance transfers etc).

Think about it this way; insurance is great when you're talking about such large sums of money that you couldn't get the money in any other way (e.g life insurance cover to pay off a £200K mortgage)..but how much is the average vets bill? Less than £100? Hardly life altering sums of money so what's the point of insuring against it (especially when the premiums aren't much less that the cost of the "disaster" you're insuring against)?

akuma 天 16-02-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles783 (Post 3387354)
Where is the best place for pet insurance, for exotic animals? I've found most "normal" insurance brokers don't cover exotics......

As above, its only worth it if you have some expensive morphs etc...

Its pointless for normals as treatment prices would usually fall well under the excess of the policy and they are cheap enought to buy if they pass away.

I'm sure someone will provide a story of a time when they benefited, but generally speaking..........................

evilchild 16-02-2009 03:27 PM

as said it is very expensive. i went to the vets the other day (well not me my beardie, however the vet was rather interested in runing some test on me?) and it was only £35 ish for the vet to look and treatment. it was nothing to major but that wouldn't even cover the excess of the insurance policy.

Rain 16-02-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akuma 天 (Post 3387869)
its only worth it if you have some expensive morphs etc...

Actually, I'd disagree there. We phoned a couple of places to insure our desert ghost male, as he's WC and damn near impossible to replace should anything happen, and the insurance broker (cant remember who) said they could only insure morphs for the base value of a normal. So our DG could only be insured for £100 or so... That'd hardly cover the fuel to the vets and back...

akuma 天 16-02-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain (Post 3388100)
Actually, I'd disagree there. We phoned a couple of places to insure our desert ghost male, as he's WC and damn near impossible to replace should anything happen, and the insurance broker (cant remember who) said they could only insure morphs for the base value of a normal. So our DG could only be insured for £100 or so... That'd hardly cover the fuel to the vets and back...

So, by the time you've paid the £30 to £50 excess, travel costs and treatment, was the insurance actually worth it?

As I said before, they'll always be a few people for whom insurance worked out, but generally speaking a savings account with the equivelent preimum will always be best for reps.

Rain 16-02-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akuma 天 (Post 3388119)
So, by the time you've paid the £30 to £50 excess, travel costs and treatment, was the insurance actually worth it?

As I said before, they'll always be a few people for whom insurance worked out, but generally speaking a savings account with the equivelent preimum will always be best for reps.

Nope, it wasnt worth it, so we save a little each week.
Pet insurance for dogs I wouldnt be without, snakes... I'd rather keep money under the matress...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)