Pet Insurance - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Pet Insurance

Where is the best place for pet insurance, for exotic animals? I've found most "normal" insurance brokers don't cover exotics......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Gold Star Member

The only place is Exotics Direct. IMO the premiums are too expensive, with too many exclusions, to make it worthwhile for reptiles. I think people would generally be better off putting aside some money on a regular basis to build up an emergency fund, or if they need a larger sum of money straight away just put it on credit card and then move the balance to a new card every six months or so to ensure you're not paying interest on it (0% balance transfers etc).

Think about it this way; insurance is great when you're talking about such large sums of money that you couldn't get the money in any other way (e.g life insurance cover to pay off a £200K mortgage)..but how much is the average vets bill? Less than £100? Hardly life altering sums of money so what's the point of insuring against it (especially when the premiums aren't much less that the cost of the "disaster" you're insuring against)?

Currently available: Proven male banana royal, and male coral-glow bumblebee

Last edited by essexchondro; 16-02-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Old 16-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles783 View Post
Where is the best place for pet insurance, for exotic animals? I've found most "normal" insurance brokers don't cover exotics......
As above, its only worth it if you have some expensive morphs etc...

Its pointless for normals as treatment prices would usually fall well under the excess of the policy and they are cheap enought to buy if they pass away.

I'm sure someone will provide a story of a time when they benefited, but generally speaking..........................
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2009, 03:27 PM
No Life Member
Send a message via MSN to evilchild

as said it is very expensive. i went to the vets the other day (well not me my beardie, however the vet was rather interested in runing some test on me?) and it was only £35 ish for the vet to look and treatment. it was nothing to major but that wouldn't even cover the excess of the insurance policy.
Old 16-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma 天 View Post
its only worth it if you have some expensive morphs etc...
Actually, I'd disagree there. We phoned a couple of places to insure our desert ghost male, as he's WC and damn near impossible to replace should anything happen, and the insurance broker (cant remember who) said they could only insure morphs for the base value of a normal. So our DG could only be insured for £100 or so... That'd hardly cover the fuel to the vets and back...

PM's are now turned off!

If you wish to contact Pi Reptiles please email [email protected] or visit www.pireptiles.co.uk
Old 16-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Actually, I'd disagree there. We phoned a couple of places to insure our desert ghost male, as he's WC and damn near impossible to replace should anything happen, and the insurance broker (cant remember who) said they could only insure morphs for the base value of a normal. So our DG could only be insured for £100 or so... That'd hardly cover the fuel to the vets and back...
So, by the time you've paid the £30 to £50 excess, travel costs and treatment, was the insurance actually worth it?

As I said before, they'll always be a few people for whom insurance worked out, but generally speaking a savings account with the equivelent preimum will always be best for reps.
Old 16-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma 天 View Post
So, by the time you've paid the £30 to £50 excess, travel costs and treatment, was the insurance actually worth it?

As I said before, they'll always be a few people for whom insurance worked out, but generally speaking a savings account with the equivelent preimum will always be best for reps.
Nope, it wasnt worth it, so we save a little each week.
Pet insurance for dogs I wouldnt be without, snakes... I'd rather keep money under the matress...

PM's are now turned off!

If you wish to contact Pi Reptiles please email [email protected] or visit www.pireptiles.co.uk