Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   when should i feed my corn snake fuzzies? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/256582-when-should-i-feed-my.html)

mickey22 16-02-2009 01:11 PM

HELP!! when should i feed my corn snake fuzzies?

i am new to keeping snakes and these are my first! i have 2 young corn snakes, about 5-6 months old, one is about 14 inches and the other about a foot. they were both fed a pinky on saturday and still seemed quite active as if they were still searching for more prey. is it possible they were? by sunday night at around 10 O'clock there was no bulge in there bodies. does this mean they are ready to move to fuzzies or should i just feed multiple pinkies? i have heard that pinkys do not have as much nutrition as a fuzzy. so would a fuzzy be a better option to feeding multiple pinkys?

Pleco07 16-02-2009 01:21 PM

Ive got two corns of the same age, Im feeding mine a fuzzy each every 5 days. Corns are bottomless pits all mine will always look for more after i feed them. Only offer them wot their due tho otherwise they will end up over weight. Mine usually take about 2/3 days'ish to completely digest and pass their food items.

mickey22 16-02-2009 01:31 PM

so i should move up to fuzzies? when i got them about a month ago it did take about 2-3 days for them to fully digest the pinky which is obviously nomal but not anymore. oh and another thing they still havent shed yet whilst in my care, could this because they arent growing enough because they are not getting enough nutrients to grow properly?

mickey22 16-02-2009 01:32 PM

so i should move up to fuzzies? when i got them about a month ago it did take about 2-3 days for them to fully digest the pinky which is obviously nomal but not anymore. oh and another thing, they still havent shed yet whilst in my care, could this because they arent growing enough because they are not getting enough nutrients to grow properly?

Pleco07 16-02-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey22 (Post 3387652)
so i should move up to fuzzies? when i got them about a month ago it did take about 2-3 days for them to fully digest the pinky which is obviously nomal but not anymore. oh and another thing, they still havent shed yet whilst in my care, could this because they arent growing enough because they are not getting enough nutrients to grow properly?

I would move them onto fuzzies yes. My corns generally shed once a month'ish (except the bigger ones 3yrs+).

My two youngsters have shed once since ive had them (got them on 15th Jan) and that was a couple of days ago.

cornmorphs 16-02-2009 01:53 PM

i normally go around 22-23 grams a small fuzzy/fluff. some will still only take 2 pinks, but most will move on,.

bluerain 16-02-2009 01:59 PM

I usually go from one pink, to two and then when they still hunting after that, to the smallest fuzzie!

cornmorphs 16-02-2009 02:00 PM

the problem with that, is that corns will always 'appear' to be wanting more.

mickey22 16-02-2009 02:07 PM

i am slightly worried about feeding fuzzies as i dont want to put my babies in any danger, im sure im not the only one that has ever worried about this! is there any signs to look out for when i first feed a fuzzy that will show that they are struggling and is there anythin i could do if i think they are? the pinkies they eat now are gone in about 2mins maybe less! so they should be ok right?

cornmorphs 16-02-2009 02:13 PM

what does the snake weigh?
generally, you will get told that the item must not be bigger than 1.5 x the thickest part of the snakes girth.