Help with a maintenance fed baby please. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-02-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Star Member
Default Help with a maintenance fed baby please.

Hi guys,

Don't worry this isn't a 'my snake won't eat' thread as such :P.
I have recently bought a baby carpet python which I was told by the breeder had been fed once a month to keep it small and was advised by them to feed her every 4 days to get her back up to normal.

Basically I was told she had been fed the day before I picked her up so I waited until a week after that and tried her on a couple of pinkies but she showed no interest whatsoever, I'm assuming this is because she has become used to the monthly schedule and is not expecting food again only a week later, although I must say I was expecting her to be starving and wolf it down!

Would it be best for her health to slowly wean her onto a shorter schedule (monthly, 3 weekly. 2 weekly etc) or should I just try and get her eating as soon as possible and as regularly as possible?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post!

Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Premier Member

I'd just offer every 5 days personally.

Old 17-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to demonworm

I agree totally.
Offer every 5-6 days, maybe warm the food items that little bit more than you would do usually as well.
Im sure it will start eating with that typical Carpet enthusiasm in no time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Forum Citizen

by being fed once a month 'to keep it small' you actually mean starved?

don't understnd why people do this...

anyway, since you bought it i would be feeding every 5 days, offer the food every 5 days. check you are feeding him the right size food item as it could be he has been fed slightly bigger because he was getting food rarely...

obviously it would be like you having a huge breakfast, you not gonna want lunch...

maybe try him on the next size down and see how that affects his appetitie.
Old 17-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Forum Citizen

oh, just re-red your post saying you tried him a week after moving himin...

has he been left well alone to settle in for this week?

then there are the basic temp, humidity and hide space qns...

could well be that he is still settling, offer every 5 days and see if he begins feeding...

if he doesn't you need to ask yourself whether you KNOW he was feeding beffore you got him, was he on a monthly rota because he was an awkward feeder etc...
Old 17-02-2009, 10:46 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

A maintenance diet doesn't mean stunting a snake by feeding it during it's juvenile stage just enough to keep it afloat.

Once per month seems incredibly harsh and I wonder if there may be an element of cowplop in it. Perhaps you've been sold a nonfeeder but you won't begin to suspect a thing for ooh say at least a month!?!

Best of luck with him either way!
Lotte***
Old 17-02-2009, 11:59 PM
5 Star Member

check the environment first.
smallish viv (my 08 bredls is in a 9l rub), hot end high 28-30C, 2 hides, branch and some cover, and a water bowl.

As others have said a pink every 5 days or so and feed with forceps. Leave it just outside the hide overnight if it's not taken immediately.

You may be right in thinking it's not expecting food for another three weeks, but keep offering.

Good luck and nice one choosing a carpet

holiday cottage in cornwall www.lanhernecottage.co.uk
2.1 2011 hatchling carpets for sale - pm me if interested
Old 18-02-2009, 09:33 AM
5 Star Member

I have bought a similarly fussy carpet (I knew in advance) and it takes a LONG time for him to take his food. He will NOT take it if its left in the viv, he only takes it after about an hour of dangling it, I'm hoping in time I can get mine onto rats and striking nicely, good luck to yourself too.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Star Member

Hi guys thanks for the replies,

Ok she is in a 19l rub atm with 2 hides a water bowl and some climbing branches which she is always on. Temps are fine now, had some problems when I first got her.

I had no idea of the way she had been fed when i put a deposit down and didn't discover it until after I got there.
I dont KNOW anything for sure with this snake only what I have been told by the breeder who seems to have a very good reputation on here.

She certainly likes eating me and had eaten when I got her (had a belly lump and then pooed a couple of days later) so not a non feeder!
I will try again soon and then every 5 days thereafter hopefully she'll get her appetite back soon, when I tried her with the pinks I was trying for strike with tongs for a long time then eventually left them in the RUB with her overnight but she didnt take them

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks
Old 18-02-2009, 11:14 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 29

I"d try giving her fluffs made nice and warm with a hairdryer (after normal defrosting of course) pay particular attention to the head area! carpets love to snatch things from the security of their branches, so disturb her as little as possible, and just offer to her of tongs. Hope she feeds!! Keep us updated if you can!

1.2 lampropeltis knoblochi
1.1 Red Milks
1.3 Thayers Kings
1.0 Woodini
1.0 Childrens pythons
1.1 stripped corns

baby stripped corns and some variables for sale..message me

Oh....and 3 baby spiders ;-))
[/IMG]